Did southeastern asians fight against Japanese in WW2?

May 2015
Hanam city, Korea
You know, during WW2, when japan tried to take over whole Asia, Chinese and Korean fought against japanese. but southeastern Asia? I wonder because I heard southeastern asian people are positive about Japanese colonial rule, which was pretty humiliating period for Korea and China. Did any southeastern asians like Vietnam or Indnesia fought with Japan?

beorna

Ad Honoris
Jan 2010
-
You know, during WW2, when japan tried to take over whole Asia, Chinese and Korean fought against japanese. but southeastern Asia? I wonder because I heard southeastern asian people are positive about Japanese colonial rule, which was pretty humiliating period for Korea and China. Did any southeastern asians like Vietnam or Indnesia fought with Japan?
The Viet Minh fought against the japanese and colonial Vichy-France. The British and free France thanked them with a colonial war, after Japan surrendered. The british used even Japanese troops to fight the Viet Minh after Japan surrendered and the French did use former SS and Wehrmacht soldiers as men of the legion etranger to fight them, too. What a wonderful world.

Dec 2010
Near St. Louis.
The Viet Minh fought against the japanese and colonial Vichy-France. The British and free France thanked them with a colonial war, after Japan surrendered. The british used even Japanese troops to fight the Viet Minh after Japan surrendered and the French did use former SS and Wehrmacht soldiers as men of the legion etranger to fight them, too. What a wonderful world.
SITE de RECRUTEMENT de la LEGION ETRANGERE

Not picky about a person's political background. American and British deserters fought at Dien Bien Phu.

beorna

Ad Honoris
Jan 2010
-
SITE de RECRUTEMENT de la LEGION ETRANGERE

Not picky about a person's political background. American and British deserters fought at Dien Bien Phu.
Yes, they weren't. The French did controll in that period every German for the blood group sign, which does not mean, that it had influence on the decision if they take him or not:lol: The figure for Dien Bien Phu aren't certain. A lot French from the Charlemagne fought as Belgian, to get back french pass ports after they some years. There were as well several hundreds of Ukrainians from the 30th SS. From the 3500 paratroopers who were dropped into the pocket 1600 shall have been German. In the 3rd paratrooper Btl were e.g. 55% Germans.

Dec 2010
Near St. Louis.
In any country colonized by the Japanese you could find a spectrum of reaction to the takeover. If people hated the old rulers they may have welcomed the new ones. Of course there were people who didn't like old or new. And people who just wanted to survive the damn war. Saying an entire country reacted uniformly is a bit of a stretch.

Perhaps unique were the Philippines, who had been promised their independence in 1946. They were worried that Japanese rule would end that dream. In the end the US kept it promise and the Republic of the Philippines got its official start right on time.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Thailand briefly fought against the Japanese when they invaded on their way to Malaysia, but very quickly made peace and allied with them. But by 1942, an active resistance movement had developed, led from Washington by the Thai ambassador to the US, as economic conditions worsened due to Japanese demands for resources and the arrogant treatment of its supposed "ally".

Similar History Discussions