Did Spartan women kill gay men?

Sep 2014
Texas
I am actually looking for someone to convince me I am wrong. From Plutarch we know Spartan women were taught to hate gay men. Girls at night would actually beat them up, and the state tried to shame these men into marrying, but real gay men would not be able to do it. Plus there were ways to protect yourself.

I've recently had a terrible thought enter my head. Spartan women during Roman times used the festival of Carnia to beat gay men to death. When I was younger and read the account, I could not imagine any woman wanting to beat a boy to death. And while she wasn't doing the actual beating, she controlled the outcome. The priestess that is.

This is really bothering me because I admire the Spartan women and the men who loved them. Historically it has been women who suffered at the hands of gay men ...the guy who was chased out of Austria and went to Germany where he attempted to kill all the women of this one German city as witches...women, girls and babies. That is an extreme example, but there is always Aristotle bitching about women.

Anyway this thought that Spartan women did the same thing even on a smaller scale now bothers me. I would be delighted to be proven wrong.

Jan 2015
MD, USA
I don't know enough about Sparta to even attempt a real answer, but I have been reading quite a bit lately that challenges a lot of what we used to know. Too many of our sources were non-Spartans who were either derisive and hyper-critical, or fan-boys who glorified everything Lakonian. Or even much later sources basically trying to play up past glories for the tourism trade.

But Helena Schrader is the lady to consult: http://www.spartareconsidered.com/

She may not have your answer written up already, but I'm sure she could give you some fascinating information!

Matthew

Jul 2016
USA
This is simple. If someone wrote it, than source it. Provide the book and line number and the translation so everyone sees.

Otherwise we're talking about how Plutarch said Spartan girls were too busy playing with their iPhones to beat anyone up.

Nov 2014
Birmingham, UK
Historically it has been women who suffered at the hands of gay men ...

the guy who was chased out of Austria and went to Germany where he attempted to kill all the women of this one German city as witches...women, girls and babies. .
I'm unsure what your source is for these claims, or even what you're trying to say

Sep 2014
Texas
I'm unsure what your source is for these claims, or even what you're trying to say
My source for the infamous witch trials? Wurzburg witch trials.

Sorry. off topic. Those crimes happened. Did the women of Sparta do the same thing? Did they persecute gay men?

Sep 2014
Texas
This is simple. If someone wrote it, than source it. Provide the book and line number and the translation so everyone sees.

Otherwise we're talking about how Plutarch said Spartan girls were too busy playing with their iPhones to beat anyone up.
No, this just argumentative. I want someone who already knows what's going on. If you are unfamilair with this dark history than it should not interest you. Hopefully someone will respond who knows what I am discussing.

Jul 2016
USA

Sorry. off topic. Those crimes happened. Did the women of Sparta do the same thing? Did they persecute gay men?
First, find a source that accurately defines and describes Spartan gay men. Second, find a source saying Spartan women were beating them.

Otherwise you have to prove Spartan women werent going out to trendy bars to gab with gay Spartan men over cosmos.

Nov 2014
Birmingham, UK

Historically it has been women who suffered at the hands of gay men

historically, as in throughout history, and universally? it's just a weirdly discordant claim.

Jul 2016
USA
No, this just argumentative. I want someone who already knows what's going on. If you are unfamilair with this dark history than it should not interest you. Hopefully someone will respond who knows what I am discussing.
I'm quite familiar with Plutarch. He specifically wrote, and I quote:

"Bedb is wrong about gay Spartans." Life of Leonidas, 65.

So how can you argue with that?

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
From Plutarch we know Spartan women were taught to hate gay men.
I really agree with aggienation idea here. I read some of Plutarch works, some totally, others partially, but I don’t recall to read this, so it would be interesting to read those specific paragraphs/sentences, so we can know in detail about what we are talking. Besides reading his words can give us a better idea to formulate some questions, specifically: What was the time period? Was about the beginning of the Roman Empire or the Greek Classical Age? Don’t know much about Sparta, but I have the idea that there were huge changes.

Similar History Discussions