Did Spartan women kill gay men?

Sep 2014
Texas
I really agree with aggienation idea here. I read some of Plutarch works, some totally, others partially, but I don’t recall to read this, so it would be interesting to read those specific paragraphs/sentences, so we can know in detail about what we are talking. Besides reading his words can give us a better idea to formulate some questions, specifically: What was the time period? Was about the beginning of the Roman Empire or the Greek Classical Age? Don’t know much about Sparta, but I have the idea that there were huge changes.
Well this sucks. I finally decide to break down (I am a firm believer in researching stuff myself) but now I can't find my book. It should be right here. It was in the Lycurgus chapter and said that men who refused to marry were marched in the winter and made to sing bad songs about themselves...they were forbidden to attend any of the festivals with naked youths, and girls would beat them up at night.
I went on line to see if I could find it, but I will have to find my book. Naturally the first thing I found was Spartan men were totally gay. Gotta love consistency but it doesn't solve my problem. Why did those women/priestesses encourage some boys to be beaten to death. If you don't think they did that premeditatedly, then that would be sad but encouraging.

Sep 2014
Texas
I'm quite familiar with Plutarch. He specifically wrote, and I quote:

"Bedb is wrong about gay Spartans." Life of Leonidas, 65.

So how can you argue with that?
Well, I have always said that you can't make gay men straight and straight men gay, so If I'm wrong it's because I feel sympathy for gay men in a society that ridicules them. I know it's very popular to assume that all Greek men are gay who are magically converted when they come into contact with shaved vaginas.

And the insults do not bother me. I was a teacher and a corpsman, complaining on line is nothing. If you don't know the answer, there is nothing wrong with that.

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
Well this sucks. I finally decide to break down (I am a firm believer in researching stuff myself) but now I can't find my book. It should be right here. It was in the Lycurgus chapter and said that men who refused to marry were marched in the winter and made to sing bad songs about themselves...they were forbidden to attend any of the festivals with naked youths, and girls would beat them up at night.
I went on line to see if I could find it, but I will have to find my book. Naturally the first thing I found was Spartan men were totally gay. Gotta love consistency but it doesn't solve my problem. Why did those women/priestesses encourage some boys to be beaten to death. If you don't think they did that premeditatedly, then that would be sad but encouraging.
Maybe this can help: Plutarch • Customs of the Spartans

Sep 2014
Texas
I really agree with aggienation idea here. I read some of Plutarch works, some totally, others partially, but I don’t recall to read this, so it would be interesting to read those specific paragraphs/sentences, so we can know in detail about what we are talking. Besides reading his words can give us a better idea to formulate some questions, specifically: What was the time period? Was about the beginning of the Roman Empire or the Greek Classical Age? Don’t know much about Sparta, but I have the idea that there were huge changes.
The classical period was rough but manageable. The era where boys were beaten to death was Roman. They would tie a boy to a pole and lay a whip on him. A priestess holding a statue of Artemis. She would scream it ws too heavy if she wanted the boy beaten harder. This was clearly insanity at its worse.

Jul 2016
USA
Well, I have always said that you can't make gay men straight and straight men gay, so If I'm wrong it's because I feel sympathy for gay men in a society that ridicules them. I know it's very popular to assume that all Greek men are gay who are magically converted when they come into contact with shaved vaginas.

And the insults do not bother me. I was a teacher and a corpsman, complaining on line is nothing. If you don't know the answer, there is nothing wrong with that.
What is difference between gay and bisexual? There is a definition difference, correct? What do they mean? How do they apply to Spartans?

I asked you, someone else did to about where you got any source about shaved vaginas. You provided a generalized historical account giving no specifics about Spartan women, who were known by legitimate sources to openly flaunt leg hair. I'd ask you to provide a source for your claim, and while I'm asking on a website called Historum.com, I know I'm asking you too much.

Willempie

Ad Honorem
Jul 2015
Netherlands
Sounds far-fetched. I don't know any gay man who would go into that.

Sep 2014
Texas
Sounds far-fetched. I don't know any gay man who would go into that.
which part? You don't think a minority of men would tolerate abuse because they feared resisting it? As for the Roman thing...horrible just horrible. Of course things are constantly in flux where the ancient Greeks are concerned.
So you think the boys who were killed were just randomly selected?

Similar History Discussions