Did Sputnik Really Scare Americans That Much?

Feb 2016
Atlantic Ocean
We are talking about present days. I guess some progress in technology was made after Nazi.

Natus ut primus sim
Any progress was off of the back of the V2 program, although i do confess to not knowing that we were talking about the present, i thought we were still talking about the cold war

Apr 2016
RU
Any progress was off of the back of the V2 program, although i do confess to not knowing that we were talking about the present, i thought we were still talking about the cold war
Well in University my teacher of philosophy thought that the biggest technological breakthrough was made by one hominid who made an instrument for making other instruments. After that impulse we just keep rolling.

Natus ut primus sim

Maribat

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
People in the USA were indeed scared. That fact is present in all books on early NASA history and Apollo space program I’ve read.

Then after a year or two the US went ahead of Russia in space exploration, notwithstanding the firsts the USSR scored in space. That was clear to all concerned then even in Russia. The diaries of Kamanin are an excellent historical source for the researchers.

The USA went ahead but used the superficial USSR space exploits to their benefit – they could get the money for their programs if they kept the government people if fear of Russians.

larkin

Ad Honorem
Sep 2009
The conventional wisdom is that the launch of Sputnik I by the Soviets in 1957 scared the crap out of the American people and that we poured money into the school systems to get more kids into math and science.

Is this actually true?

From what I've read in magazines at that time the "panic" was largely confined to the national media and decision makers in Washington D.C.
I was 11 at the time and i saw the stories in the New York papers. I was thrilled and excited after watching a Disney program about a 3 stage rocket going to the moon.. Why would i be afraid? I just knew that this was the first step to the stars.. Why would i care what country made it?

The people that were worried were at the Pentagon and the White house. They spun it into a reason to be afraid, very afraid... Just like they do today getting people all frighten about hidden terror cells and an impending invasion for the sole purpose of installing Sharia law.. Just about the time the description, Al Qaeda was getting worn out, they re-branded into isis..

The real purpose of spreading paranoia is to legitimize their existence and secure more funding.

They did this in the Cold War and they are doing it again.. Currently they are dusting off and refurbishing the old anti-Soviet rhetoric.

This is their stock and trade and people eat it up..

Last edited:
Apr 2016
RU
I was 11 at the time and i saw the stories in the New York papers. I was thrilled and excited after watching a Disney program about a 3 stage rocket going to the moon.. Why would i be afraid? I just knew that this was the first step to the stars.. Why would i care what country made it?

The people that were worried were at the Pentagon and the White house. They spun it into a reason to be afraid, very afraid... Just like they do today getting people all frighten about hidden terror cells and an impending invasion for the sole purpose of installing Sharia law.. Just about the time the description, Al Qaeda was getting worn out, they re-branded into isis..

The real purpose of spreading paranoia is to legitimize their existence and secure more funding.

They did this in the Cold War and they are doing it again.. Currently they are dusting off and refurbishing the old anti-Soviet rhetoric.

This is their stock and trade and people eat it up..
Great post.

Natus ut primus sim

MAGolding

Ad Honorem
Aug 2015
Chalfont, Pennsylvania
I have heard that a news publication distributed to American grade school students described the International Geophysical Year (July 1, 1957-December 31, 1958) and mentioned that the USA and the USSR would launch satellites into orbit as part of of their participation in the IGY.

Thus American schoolkids who read that publication and remembered it would not be surprised by the Soviets doing what they said they would do during the period they said they would do it. They would only be surprised by the unannounced until successful launch of Sputnik on its specific date and by the Soviets doing it before the USA.