Did Sputnik Really Scare Americans That Much?

larkin

Ad Honorem
Sep 2009
Not sure what you are referring to in the present day. Putin seems to be the best promoter of anti Russian feeling in the rest of the world.
Not so much in the rest of the world, but certainly in the US.
If the US funded NGO's overthrow Ukraine's crappy but elected government and threaten to join NATO, Russia's naval base in the Crimea is threatened. Putin has little to do with that. 75% Russian, Crimea has been Russian since the 16th century and Russia has lost 20 million lives defending against invasion, but keep on watching cable news..

Feb 2016
ROK
I was nine. I don't remember anybody being scared at all.
I was a kid when The Day After was aired on tv for the first time. I remember people (including my dad) being depressed after watching it, but I didn't know how much people thought there'd be a nuclear war at that time. Some years later, the Berlin Wall fell and Gorbachev completely changed my view of the Soviet Union. I quickly forgot about the fears that were felt in the past until I read on the internet how much more scared people were than I originally thought. I think I remember (vaguely) my parents watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcCLZwU2t34

Do you remember the Where were you during 9-11? threads? During the last few years people replied to those threads, the teenagers replied that they barely remembered it and didn't feel scared at all. But then they also don't remember a time before terrorism was something to be feared about in the US. For them, the US was always at war in the Middle East, and the airports always did shoe checks. (Of course they know that it wasn't always like that historically). The nuclear threat always existed for me so I took it for granted. I remember my high school teacher talking about the fear of nuclear threat. He remembered a time when the nuclear threat was a new concept.

Last edited:
Jun 2015
Scotland
I was a kid when The Day After was aired on tv for the first time. I remember people (including my dad) being depressed after watching it, but I didn't know how much people thought there'd be a nuclear war at that time. Some years later, the Berlin Wall fell and Gorbachev completely changed my view of the Soviet Union. I quickly forgot about the fears that were felt in the past until I read on the internet how much more scared people were than I originally thought. I think I remember (vaguely) my parents watching this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PcCLZwU2t34

Do you remember the Where were you during 9-11? threads? During the last few years people replied to those threads, the teenagers replied that they barely remembered it and didn't feel scared at all. But then they also don't remember a time before terrorism was something to be feared about in the US. For them, the US was always at war in the Middle East, and the airports always did shoe checks. (Of course they know that it wasn't always like that historically). The nuclear threat always existed for me so I took it for granted. I remember my high school teacher talking about the fear of nuclear threat. He remembered a time when the nuclear threat was a new concept.
As an aside, a year after The Day After the BBC released a Nuclear war drama called Threads. It is to this day the most disturbing thing I have watched on TV and the only TV program that has changed my world view. I would recommend every one and leaders with nuclear capability in particular to watch it!

Jun 2016
USA
From what I have gathered it scared America from the standpoint of losing our global standing as a hegemon post WWII. USSR had already started a nuclear program as well. This generation of Americans was not that far removed from Pearl Harbor attack of 1941. They vowed to never be caught off guard like they were on December 7th and rember after the attack the U.S. Had only the 15th largest army in the world. Thus a counter action was needed and that meant more $$$$$ for math,science, and defense. American Congressmen love defense contracts for their districts and states.

May 2016
Vatican occupied America
Are the Americans still using Nazi technology - hell yeah! Were the Nazi and are the Germans still using American technology - such as our airplanes, oh yeah the darn copy cats ;) America needs to start stealing technology again instead of just giving ours away! We need to ban any country who has nukes or aircraft and refuses to pay us our royalties ;). Technology is always stolen and if effective continues to be used.

Feb 2016
ROK
As an aside, a year after The Day After the BBC released a Nuclear war drama called Threads. It is to this day the most disturbing thing I have watched on TV and the only TV program that has changed my world view. I would recommend every one and leaders with nuclear capability in particular to watch it!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Threads#Reception
Jackson later recalled that while BBC productions would usually be followed by phone calls of congratulations from friends or colleagues immediately after airing, no such calls came after the first screening of Threads. Jackson later "realised...that people had just sat there thinking about it, in many cases not sleeping or being able to talk." He later said that he had it on good authority that Ronald Reagan watched the film when it aired in the US.
Here's an interesting documentary about how close the world came to a nuclear war.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKse2W1Wxz0

Similar History Discussions