Did Stalin plan to deport any additional ethnic groups before his death?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Did Stalin plan to deport any additional ethnic groups before his death? I know of the Doctors' Plot and the possibility of a mass deportation of Soviet Jews to Siberia--though AFAIK the evidence in regards to this is far from bullet-proof. However, were there any other ethnic groups that might have become targets for Soviet deportations had Stalin would have lived longer? Indeed, did Stalin ever provide any hints of any future deportation plans before his death?

Any thoughts on this?

Reactions: Nina Beria
Feb 2019
Planet Earth
I don't think he was going to deport Jews. There is simply no documentary evidence of that, so it remains a conspiracy theory.
I mean, unlike Jews, Crimean Tatars, Chechen-Ingush and others were really deported and those papers still exist in the archives. In other words, there seems to have been no effort to hide such things.

E.g. on the Crimean Tatars: Wilson Center Digital Archive

Last edited:
Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I don't think he was going to deport Jews. There is simply no documentary evidence of that, so it remains a conspiracy theory.
I mean, unlike Jews, Crimean Tatars, Chechen-Ingush and others were really deported and those papers still exist in the archives. In other words, there seems to have been no effort to hide such things.
There is this letter, though:

Doctors' plot - Wikipedia

"Stalin started preparations for the deportation of Jews in February 1953 and ordered to prepare a letter from a group of notable Soviet Jews with request to the Soviet government to carry out the mass deportation of Jews in order to save them from "the just wrath of Soviet people." The letter had to be published in the newspaper Pravda and was found later.[49]"

What do you think of this information?

Also, if Stalin was actually planning to deport Soviet Jews en masse to Siberia, it's possible that he simply died before he and his subordinates could actually write detailed plans for achieving this goal.

Mar 2019
Kansas
Also, if Stalin was actually planning to deport Soviet Jews en masse to Siberia, it's possible that he simply died before he and his subordinates could actually write detailed plans for achieving this goal.
Stalin was a great organizer and meticulous with his notes. The fact there are no primary sources located is pretty telling.

Feb 2019
Planet Earth
There is this letter, though:

Doctors' plot - Wikipedia

"Stalin started preparations for the deportation of Jews in February 1953 and ordered to prepare a letter from a group of notable Soviet Jews with request to the Soviet government to carry out the mass deportation of Jews in order to save them from "the just wrath of Soviet people." The letter had to be published in the newspaper Pravda and was found later.[49]"

What do you think of this information?

I haven't seen such letter. From what I can see (I don't trust Wikipedia though) it is just based on hearsay:

Yakov Etinger described how former CPSU Politburo member Nikolai Bulganin said that Stalin asked him in the end of February 1953 to prepare railroad cars for the mass deportation of Jews to Siberia.[47] According to a book by another Soviet Politburo member Alexander Yakovlev,[48][47] Stalin started preparations for the deportation of Jews in February 1953 and ordered to prepare a letter from a group of notable Soviet Jews with request to the Soviet government to carry out the mass deportation of Jews in order to save them from "the just wrath of Soviet people." The letter had to be published in the newspaper Pravda and was found later.[49] According to historian Samson Madiyevsky, the deportation was definitely considered, and the only thing in doubt is the time-frame.[50][51][52]

Preparation for such a deportation would mean a huge bureaucratic process, not just rumours. Plus was there hard evidence, Khruschev would have used it against Stalin. But he didn't.

Last edited:
Reactions: Futurist
Mar 2019
Kansas
I haven't seen such letter. From what I can see (I don't trust Wikipedia though) it is just based on hearsay:

Yakov Etinger described how former CPSU Politburo member Nikolai Bulganin said that Stalin asked him in the end of February 1953 to prepare railroad cars for the mass deportation of Jews to Siberia.[47] According to a book by another Soviet Politburo member Alexander Yakovlev,[48][47] Stalin started preparations for the deportation of Jews in February 1953 and ordered to prepare a letter from a group of notable Soviet Jews with request to the Soviet government to carry out the mass deportation of Jews in order to save them from "the just wrath of Soviet people." The letter had to be published in the newspaper Pravda and was found later.[49] According to historian Samson Madiyevsky, the deportation was definitely considered, and the only thing in doubt is the time-frame.[50][51][52]
But Wiki does call out how doubtful the information is in the same article

Zhores Medvedev writes that there are no documents found in support of the deportation plan,[38] Gennady Kostyrchenko writes the same. Nevertheless the question remains open.[39]

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal

Preparation for such a deportation would mean a huge bureaucratic process, not just rumours. Plus was there hard evidence, Khruschev would have used it against Stalin. But he didn't.
Well, click on the link for the source of this information and see if the information there is actually reliable.