Did the ancient Egyptians have human or semi-divine heroes?

Mar 2014
Lost in Yharnam
We have Herakles (greek), Cuchulain (celtic) Siegfried (nordic) Gilgamesh (middle east) among many others

I can not remember any egyptian hero, they have Sinuhe, who is just a tired old man, no pharaoh was a killer of monsters, as far as I know, Imhotep was not a warrior. Horus obviously does not count, because he is a god in its fullness

Last edited:

cladking

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
exile
About the only one I can think of was Imhotep who was "Chief of Seers" and the designer of the first great pyramid called the Step Pyramid at Saqqara. It is believed he was a priest but I believe he was a scientist and his title should be translated as "Head Scientist".

One thing for sure and that is beliefs and magic neither designed nor built any pyramid.

Mar 2014
Lost in Yharnam
About the only one I can think of was Imhotep who was "Chief of Seers" and the designer of the first great pyramid called the Step Pyramid at Saqqara. It is believed he was a priest but I believe he was a scientist and his title should be translated as "Head Scientist".

One thing for sure and that is beliefs and magic neither designed nor built any pyramid.

Before I read your post, I added that Imhotep was not a warrior, "just" a very wise and competent man, full of different abilities, and even the warrior pharaohs have no monsters in their legacy,

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
I believe that they didn't have the same kind of semi-divine heroes because divinity was carefully managed through the matrilineal line of royal succession, and thus would be reserved for ruling royalty only. Pharaohs were considered basically divine and the worldly embodiments of Horus while they were alive, and later became Osirified, so they hoarded the claims to divinity.

Mar 2014
Lost in Yharnam
I believe that they didn't have the same kind of semi-divine heroes because divinity was carefully managed through the matrilineal line of royal succession, and thus would be reserved for ruling royalty only. Pharaohs were considered basically divine and the worldly embodiments of Horus while they were alive, and later became Osirified, so they hoarded the claims to divinity.
Maybe this, but some heroes, like Odysseus, dont have divine blood, It seems that there are no legends of men doing titanic labours or killing fantastic creatures, like monsters or dragons, in Egyptian literature

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Maybe this, but some heroes, like Odysseus, dont have divine blood, It seems that there are no legends of men doing titanic labours or killing fantastic creatures, like monsters or dragons, in Egyptian literature
There is Neferkaptah, who went after the Book of Thoth:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Book_of_Thoth
The magicians did some fancy stuff:
http://www.thekeep.org/~kunoichi/kunoichi/themestream/egypt_magic.html#.WKdDcnmQxVI
Though I'm not sure you could consider them "heroic".

Last edited:

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
What a tragic hero, :sad: , thank you for clarifying

Do you know any other story?
It is sad..

"He is Happy this good prince:
Death is a kindly fate.
A Generation passes, Another stays,
Since the time of the ancestors.
The gods who were before rest in their tombs,
Blessed nobles too are buried in their tombs.
(Yet) those who built tombs,
Their places are gone,
What has become of them?
I have heard the words of Imhotep and Hordjedef,
Whose sayings are recited in whole.
What of their places?
Their walls have crumbled,
Their places are gone,
As though they had never been!
None comes from there,
To tell of their needs,
To calm our hearts,
Until we go where they have gone!
Hence rejoice in your heart!
Forgetfulness profits you,
Follow your heart as long as you live!
Put myrrh on your head,
Dress in fine linen,
Anoint yourself with oils fit for a god,
Heap up your joys,
Let your heart not sink!
Follow your heart and your happiness,
Do your things on earth as your heart commands!
When there comes to you that day of mourning,
the Weary-hearted (Osiris) hears not their mourning,
Wailing saves no man from the pit!
Make holiday, Do not weary of it!
Lo, none is allowed to take his goods with him,
Lo, none who departs comes back again!"
:sad::sad: