Did the California Republic have any support among California's non-American population?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I know that some American settlers in California briefly established a California Republic in 1846:

California Republic - Wikipedia

However, what I'm wondering about is whether this republic also had any support among California's non-American population or whether its support was limited to Americans who were living in California.

pikeshot1600

Ad Honorem
Jul 2009
I know that some American settlers in California briefly established a California Republic in 1846:

California Republic - Wikipedia

However, what I'm wondering about is whether this republic also had any support among California's non-American population or whether its support was limited to Americans who were living in California.
From what I can recall (off the cuff) many of the Mexican citizens in California were not too pleased with their situation in Mexico. Mexico City is a long way from San Francisco/Monterey, and the Mexicans were preoccupied with issues and problems elsewhere. Mexican politics were very unstable and there was little interest in, or time for, California. Mexico spent much treasure and effort on wars against Indians in northern Mexico.

IIRC (also off the cuff) the 'Spanish' population of Old California was very small.

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Do you have any guess as to what percentage of California's total population Americans made up in 1846?

Also, other than Texas, California, and Yucatan, were there any other areas where the population was dissatisfied with Mexican rule?

pikeshot1600

Ad Honorem
Jul 2009
Do you have any guess as to what percentage of California's total population Americans made up in 1846?

Also, other than Texas, California, and Yucatan, were there any other areas where the population was dissatisfied with Mexican rule?
I am afraid I can't help with those questions. The native Indian population was always the largest by far - with the missions and so on. Anglo-Americans were not there in any numbers until probably 1840 or so.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I wonder if anyone else here knows this. I was under the impression that Americans made up the majority of Texas's population back when it was an independent state.

Reactions: martin76

pikeshot1600

Ad Honorem
Jul 2009
Incidentally, and I just looked this up, the California Republic actually had no formal foundation or enabling charter. US naval personnel, and also John C. Fremont, raised the US flag at a couple of places soon after the republic (evidently) came into being. It lasted for 25 DAYS, which was probably not enough time for the Californios to send a letter to Mexico City telling that government to piss off. The words CALIFORNIA REPUBLIC do still exist on the California state flag.

Reactions: Mando and Futurist

pikeshot1600

Ad Honorem
Jul 2009
The US never recognized the California Republic, did it?
Not that I am aware. There would not have been enough time for that. The acquisition of California was another one of those "exigencies of war" that happened de facto. It probably reflected the overall opinion of both Mexican and American Californios, though undoubtedly no one cared what the native Indians thought.

The US naval commander in the Pacific issued a proclamation that California was part of the United States. That was that until it was formally admitted as a state after the Mexican War.

Last edited: