Did the Capetians who ruled other European kingdoms in the Middle Ages have succession rights to the French throne?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Did the Capetians who ruled other European kingdoms (such as Hungary) in the Middle Ages have succession rights to the French throne? Does anyone know?

May 2017
France
After the definitive fall of the Romans (476-520) the new king Clovis (496,Reims) created the Merovingian dynasty (496-737,death of Thierry IV).Unable to fight against the "Sarrazins",the Merovingians were substituted by the Intendant of the Palace Charles Martel,winner of the battle of Poitiers (732).But the new Carolingian dynasty (751-986) was unable to fight against the "Northmen".So the Capetians (987-1792) took their place.The ancesters of the Capetians were the Robertians,big aristocrats servidors of the Merovingians (Dagobert,Clotaire).But Hugues Capet was also a descendant of the most well known capetian,Charlemeagne,by his mother Beatrix de Vermandois,daughter of Bernard,king of Italy.

Apr 2010
evergreen state, USA
Henry I Capet, 1008-1060, married Anna Agnesa Yaroslavna, 1036-1075, granddaughter of Vladimir "The Great", Grand Prince of Kiev. That's what bit of information I got and placed in my tree.

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Henry I Capet, 1008-1060, married Anna Agnesa Yaroslavna, 1036-1075, granddaughter of Vladimir "The Great", Grand Prince of Kiev. That's what bit of information I got and placed in my tree.
I meant the Capetians who ruled countries such as Portugal and Hungary in the Middle Ages. Did they actually have succession rights to the French throne?

Mar 2019
Belgium
I meant the Capetians who ruled countries such as Portugal and Hungary in the Middle Ages. Did they actually have succession rights to the French throne?

Hmm the capetian are extinct now. So logically I would say no. Actually there are three pretenders for the throne of France :

-Louis de Bourbon, duc d'Anjou => the Bourbon party from the Spanish branch (definitely separated from the bourbon of France in 1714).

-Jean d'Orléans, comte de Paris => The Orléans party, cousin of the Bourbon (the most legitimate for me).

- Jean Christophe Napoléon => The bonapartist party, the descendant of Napoleon 1er empereur des Français (the less legitimate for me).

Similar History Discussions