Did the Catholic Church perform gay marriages?

JoanOfArc007

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
USA
The late historian Dr Boswell has suggested that same sex union ceremonies took place during the middle ages, specifically in the 12th century,

One major aim of his work, Dr. Boswell wrote, was "to rebut the common idea that religious belief -- Christian or other -- has been the cause of intolerance in regard to gay people."

Among his findings was that there had been, from about 1050 to 1150, "an efflorescence of gay subculture, with a highly developed literature, its own argot and artistic conventions, its own low life, its elaborate responses to critics."

Last June, Dr. Boswell again captured attention -- and provoked much debate -- with "Same-Sex Unions in Premodern Europe" (Villard Books), based on the study of more than 60 manuscripts from the 8th to the 16th century.

By the 12th century, Dr. Boswell wrote, the ceremony of same-sex union had become a "full office" which involved burning candles, placing the parties' hands on the Gospel, binding their hands or covering their heads with the priest's stole, saying the Lord's Prayer, receiving communion, kissing and sometimes circling the altar.

John E. Boswell, 47, Historian Of Medieval Gay Culture, Dies - NYTimes.com

Sep 2014
Texas
The claim is that the early church conducted same sex unions - but the 'union' was a spiritual, not a sexual one. One of the articles quotes the ceremony that two men were "united not by nature but by faith and a holy spirit". It is a modern spin to assume that two men expressing a filial love for each other must have an underlying physical, homosexual element to it. Maybe some of them did, but the the church did not condone homosexual practises, and conducting a spiritual union between two men did not mean that it was performing a gay marriage.
the knight's templer were destroyed on trumped up homosexual charges

Sep 2014
Texas
I have no doubt that a number of Churches were more positive towards homosexual couples, particularly in the Balkans and North Africa, before a uniform Roman institution emerged in the Orthodox Church. It bothers me that I lost a reference for homosexual Christians in North Africa, who were eventually killed off by the Vandals, because that would be a perfect thing to bring up here.

However, with respect to marriage, if such a thing did occur it was exceedingly rare.
I thought the Vandals persecuted all orthodox Christians not just homosexual ones because they were Arians. Of course Justinian exterminated the Vandals so I guess it was tit for tat.

Sep 2014
Texas
It is rather amusing how all historical examples of men expressing affection and tenderness for each other, now are filtered through sexuality. Because male bonding apparently can't exist without sexual desire.
I've actually seen comments that if you have sex with too many women you are also gay.

johnincornwall

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Cornwall
I thought marriage was simply the union between a man and a woman? Simple as. Until modern times.

Not sure why it would happen tbh. That was the sort of thing you didn't talk about.

Dec 2016
Italy
I thought marriage was simply the union between a man and a woman? Simple as. Until modern times.

Not sure why it would happen tbh. That was the sort of thing you didn't talk about.

When n° 2 homosexual men get married one acts like a woman and the other one should act like a man..

I'm not homophobic but i don't understand why n° 2 men ( perhaps in the future 3 o 4 ) want to get married...
I'm against gay adoptions..
Honestly speaking nobody wants n° 2 fathers or n° 2 mothers.
A person with contrary idea is a liar.....or worst if he really accept gay adoptions.

Last edited:

Ancientgeezer

Ad Honorem
Nov 2011
The Dustbin, formerly, Garden of England
Well Emperor Nero married a puer delicatus called Sporus in 71 AD, however Nero was neither a Christian nor sane and Sporus was hardly male after Nero had arranged for all his bits to be cut off.
As Christianity was just getting going at the time, maybe they took the nod from the fat guy in the Golden House on the Palatine.

Apr 2016
United Kingdom
Scripturally Catholicism has little reason to condemn homosexuality, but this isn't evidence it endorsed it openly. As others have said, 'marrriage' and 'homosexuality' meant very different things in the Roman world. Without understanding the context, we're bound to be coming to some wrong conclusions.

As far as medieval marriage goes, medieval marriage could be very, very informal. People could just declare themselves married (without a priest) and would be treated as such. There's limited gendered language in the relevant canon law (from the Fourth Lateran Council) and so gay men could easily see themselves as able to get married. Whether the high church approved is really irrelevant to what went on at a local level. Plenty happened that the church didn't approve of.

I'm not homophobic but i don't understand why n° 2 men ( perhaps in the future 3 o 4 ) want to get married...
Because they're in love, and marriage is romantic now.

Though I personally don't understand why many activists are so determined that churches marry them. No-one makes the same demand of mosques, or synagogues.

Last edited:
Jul 2016
Europe/Switzerland/Ticino
Because they're in love, and marriage is romantic now.

Though I personally don't understand why many activists are so determined that churches marry them. No-one makes the same demand of mosques, or synagogues.

Ok..to be in love with one or two or four different men ( including their dogs and cats ) is enough to claim a group marriage, ( and child adoption or simple to buy a child ) recognized by the state and the Catholic Church..

It is a bad thing to discriminate any kind of minority...

The homosexuals are used to say, - with proud - , that there are some gay animals..

And saying that they down grade themself to the animals.. including the hyenas that eat alive the wildebeest.

Therefore: gay = animals ?

Voltaire : "I do not agree with what you have to say have , but I'll defend to the death your right to say it."

But i think that Voltaire will be disapproved by LGBT activists...they are "closer" to the hyenas than a Thinker..

Last edited: