did the civil was have religious overtones?

Lord_Cronus

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Georgia
Belisarius said:
I vaguely recall there is some obscure reference to "dominating the Sons of Hamm" who were negroes. The same tract was used by the Boers to justify enslaving the native Africans.
Depending on which Bible you read, your view on the race may be different. The Book of Mormon refers to the black race as a bastard race unworthy of being equal to that of the white.

It wouldn't apply to the south as most of them were Christian or a denomination thereof. Slavery had been in practice since the very first colonies started practicing it. The north was unable to justify using slave labor because the farms they had were not big enough to need them. It was also during the time going into rebellion that the northern states started expanding into industrialism, whereas the south was so dependant on agriculture that it could not afford to make the switch. So basically what they were faced with is, keep slavery and maintain your economy, or abolish and try to make a run at becoming industrial.

Slavery would have been worked out within ten to fifteen years proceeding Lincoln's election. What made them leave was the Federal government intervening into something that was considered to be a state's power to decide if it wanted slaves or not.

Sep 2006
Topeka, Kansas
Lord_Cronus said:
Depending on which Bible you read, your view on the race may be different. The Book of Mormon refers to the black race as a bastard race unworthy of being equal to that of the white.
Pardon me while I hijack this thread for a minute. A bit about the Book of Mormon and race. Much of the book describes two groups of people - the Nephites and Lamanites. To summarize - the Lamanites are wicked and God curses them with a mark - ie dark skin (like the story of Cane and Able of the Old Testament). Beyond this skin color is not mentioned, and blacks are never referred to as a bastard race. Worthiness in the BOM is based solely on observance of God's law, not on bloodline, race, or color. Later in the BOM, the Lamanities repent of their rebellion against God and become a people blessed above the Nephites (who again were white).

Maybe sometime I will put together a bit about blacks and LDS ("Mormon") history (there was definitely some racism), but I've already hijacked this thread enough. Let's continue the discussion....

Lord_Cronus

Historum Emeritas
Jun 2006
Georgia
Vir0n said:
Lord_Cronus said:
Pardon me while I hijack this thread for a minute. A bit about the Book of Mormon and race. Much of the book describes two groups of people - the Nephites and Lamanites. To summarize - the Lamanites are wicked and God curses them with a mark - ie dark skin (like the story of Cane and Able of the Old Testament). Beyond this skin color is not mentioned, and blacks are never referred to as a bastard race. Worthiness in the BOM is based solely on observance of God's law, not on bloodline, race, or color. Later in the BOM, the Lamanities repent of their rebellion against God and become a people blessed above the Nephites (who again were white).

Maybe sometime I will put together a bit about blacks and LDS ("Mormon") history (there was definitely some racism), but I've already hijacked this thread enough. Let's continue the discussion....
My appologies.

Jun 2006
Shellby Foote and Bruce Caton both well regarded Civil War historians have called this one of the most religious ages in American history. The writings of the day a rife with religious overtones.

Aug 2007
Kansas City MO
Regarding comments on Mormon race relations. During the 1830s and 1840s Mormon settlements in Missouri and Illinois were known for welcoming free blacks as residents, a policy that contributed to hostility against Mormons. Joseph Smith made outspoken public statements against slavery.

MrStoff1989

Historum Emeritas
Aug 2006
Tennessee
I believe it was indeed, Based on some observations, I believe that alot of people were very scared of the religions of blacks as well. Sanskrit, Voodoo, the list goes on and on. I do agree with the Mormonism thing, and if you remember, Joseph Smith was killed over his views.

Feb 2007
Ohio
Did the South claim that God gave them the right to own slaves. I have heard in the Bible there are quotes that mention that owning slaves is OK.
"Cursed be Canaan. A slave of slaves shall he be unto his brothers." (Genesis 9: 25)