Did the greco-romans realize they were related to the other indo-europeans?

Sep 2015
Romania
Did the greco-romans realize they were related to the other indo-europeans when it comes to their culture, language and ancestrality?

Did it matter to them in any way?

Lawnmowerman

Ad Honorem
Mar 2010
Going to guess probably not.

Remember you are dealing with a time when the person 3 villages over was an alien to you.

notgivenaway

Ad Honorem
Jun 2015
UK
Probably, but they didn't care. I suspect Celts knew they were too, but Picts and Scots fought each other (I suspect too that Kenneth MacAlpin conquered the Picts and forcefully united Dal Riata and Pictland into Alba/Scotland).

The same can be said of the Anglo-Saxons and Norse, or Norse and Frisiians. All had similar culture and language, but they all still fought.

Lord Fairfax

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Changing trains at Terrapin Station...
Did the greco-romans realize they were related to the other indo-europeans when it comes to their culture, language and ancestrality?

Indo-European is a language family, not firmly established as an ethnicity, so your premis is faulty to begin with.
The fact that I am using Arabic Numerals does not mean that I am Arabic, or related to Arabic peoples.

Lord Fairfax

Ad Honorem
Jan 2015
Changing trains at Terrapin Station...

So what cultural practices are you referring to?

Last edited:
Sep 2015
Romania
Indo-European is a language family, not firmly established as an ethnicity,
Never said otherwise.

However, even today when looking at ukrainian and italian for example you can see they have a common origin (maybe not recent) and I'm not talking about modern words taken from french or some other language by both italian and ukrainian.

The greco-romans back then must definitely have realized they have many things in common, especially in language and culture with the celts, germans, etc but not with the etruscans or semites, my question was, rather, is there a historical source noting this?

The fact that I am using Arabic Numerals does not mean that I am Arabic, or related to Arabic peoples.
No but if you speak a language profoundly related to Arabic, have an arab-like culture and have common ancestry and common history with the arabs, you would be.

Last edited:
Sep 2015
Romania
Probably, but they didn't care. I suspect Celts knew they were too, but Picts and Scots fought each other (I suspect too that Kenneth MacAlpin conquered the Picts and forcefully united Dal Riata and Pictland into Alba/Scotland).

The same can be said of the Anglo-Saxons and Norse, or Norse and Frisiians. All had similar culture and language, but they all still fought.
Never said realizing they're somewhat related meant they wouldn't fight. Hell, they fought within their kin as well (civil wars, tribal wars, etc..)

However, the latins for example, realized the other italic indo-europeans were their kin and if I remember well enough they got preferential treatment within the territories of Rome.

My question is rather (considering most writings from that time are long lost) do we have any greco-roman historical sources speaking of such a connection?

Aug 2014
Byzantium
In Greek mythology everything is connected, for example the Celts were coming from Hercules, because his son was Keltos. Thrax was the son of Ares, Illyrius was also connected with Greek mythology etc. But also Aegyptus for example was son of Poseidon. But I think this was more a way to explain the world. I believe that probably they didnt understand that they shared a common language, and the fact that the Greeks and the Romans called the other people as barbarians, proves it.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Everyone on earth is related, if you go back far enough. We're all descended from the same ancient people in East Africa. That knowledge hasn't stopped people from going to war with one another.

The Romans had more civil wars than probably any other ancient civilization. Considering the frequency in which Romans slaughtered each other, I'm guessing the knowledge that we're all related wouldn't have stopped them from going to war with their neighbors either.

Last edited: