Did the Greeks spread bacha bazi/pederasty/pedophilia in Persia and central asia?

Corvidius

Ad Honorem
Jul 2017
Crows nest
Remarkable as it seems, ancient history and human sexuality does not start with the Greeks.

While the exact nature of such relationships is rather clouded, enough evidence survives to show a similar situation existed in ancient Egypt from it's earliest times, not from the arrival of Alexander. The topic has been ignored since the 19th century when the Egyptologists, to a man Christians of their times, looked the other way or misrepresented and distorted the evidence. The issues surrounding this topic for the Egyptians themselves were just about the same as those for the Greeks, and that is the moral position of who does what to whom, and we find terms such as "woman-boy" and "vulva-boy" used in a derogatory sense for them, but for the man it was seen as a form of adultery, something to be avoided, but not criminal. However, there is evidence that adult male rape was illegal, and a papyrus records the trial of a sailor accused of raping a farm worker, though the outcome has not survived.

I've mentioned this a few times, but what we know as the 42 negative confessions are derived from an original 40 designed for the priesthood. One of these is worded, and translated for modern sensibilities as, I have not lain with a youth. A true translation is I have not "copulated" a boy, and it's difficult to avoid modern sensibilities, isn't it. The famous Contendings of Seth and Horus were, and still are, censored and changed so as not to offend 19th Century sensibilities that still persist. Needless to say, a correct telling of this myth, while making people blush both with embarrassment and #me too rage, could have been penned by a ancient Greek several thousand years later. There is nothing new under the Sun, and even Adelie penguins engage in such practices, and much more, in fact they are utterly depraved in our terms Adélie penguin - Wikipedia

tornada

Ad Honoris
Mar 2013
India
Do we know what Bagoas' age was when he met Alexander? If I'm not wrong, some of the references indicate he had intimate relations with Darius, so if he had been a young man, it might have suggested an independent Persian tradition of Pederasty.

Feb 2019
Planet Earth
That's an interesting, but very sensitive, question. From what I know pederasty is widespread in Afghanistan (not only among Pashtuns, but Persian speakers too) and was in Iran some decades ago. Note that this was/is about older men using and sexually harassing younger boys and these men did not/do not consider themselves homosexuals in the Western sense.

It may just be related to the very patriarchal, Islamic culture in general, since this phenomenon also existed in Ottoman Albania and , as you said . pre-Soviet Central Asia.

Last edited:
Sep 2016
天下
Definitely no! Not at all among the Catholic church.
Bullshit, currently the biggest religious scandal in Poland (90% Catholic country) is about the Church swepping under the rug the hundreds of cases of priests molesting young girls and boys. They don't get expelled, only moved to different parishes where they can predate on other children.

Nov 2014
India
Bullshit, currently the biggest religious scandal in Poland (90% Catholic country) is about the Church swepping under the rug the hundreds of cases of priests molesting young girls and boys. They don't get expelled, only moved to different parishes where they can predate on other children.
Don't you get sarcasm?

Similar History Discussions