Did the "Jewish exodus" from Babylon actually happen?

Status
Closed
Jul 2017
Crete
There is no evidence for the Exodus out of Egypt, but that particular exodus as all the attention, but people seem to be completely ignore that the Bible talks about another Exodus, out of Babylon.

Ezra 2:1
Now these are the children of the province that went up out of the captivity, of those which had been carried away, whom Nebuchadnezzar the king of Babylon had carried away unto Babylon, and came again unto Jerusalem and Judah, every one unto his city;
Is there any historical evidence for this , Did Herodotus or any other Greek historians mention this? What route did they take, What where the 'Ethnic' of these 'Babylonian captives'. What where they doing in Babylon, locked in prisons, did Babylonian use them as slaves? Where the captives Persian Colonists ?

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
The only source telling us about the Babylonian exile is the Bible.

We've got a clue. The Bible says that it was Cyrus the Great to allow the Jews to go back to their land and to restore their temple.

Now, there is a cylinder, found by the archaeologists, called the Cylinder of Cyrus, with an inscription telling just that Cyrus, after the conquest allowed the oppressed peoples to go back to their lands and to restore their temples.

But there is no direct mention of Jews or of Jerusalem.

This is the passage

From [?] to Assur and [from] Susa, Agade, Esnunna, Zabban, Me-Turnu, Der, as far as the region of Gutium, the sacred centers on the other side of the Tigris, whose sanctuaries had been abandoned for a long time, I returned the images of the gods, who had resided there [i.e., in Babylon], to their places and I let them dwell in eternal abodes. I gathered all their inhabitants and returned to them their dwellings.
[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrus_Cylinder]

Aug 2013
Italy
The only source telling us about the Babylonian exile is the Bible.

We've got a clue. The Bible says that it was Cyrus the Great to allow the Jews to go back to their land and to restore their temple.

Now, there is a cylinder, found by the archaeologists, called the Cylinder of Cyrus, with an inscription telling just that Cyrus, after the conquest allowed the oppressed peoples to go back to their lands and to restore their temples.

But there is no direct mention of Jews or of Jerusalem.

This is the passage

[https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cyrus_Cylinder]
Hello AlpinLuke,

I can't quite remember the details, but I've heard that there is another reference to Cyrus in the Bible...an ancient prophecy, in which the Persian King's name is mentioned 300 years before his birth!

Could you please help me to find this reference?

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Hello AlpinLuke,

I can't quite remember the details, but I've heard that there is another reference to Cyrus in the Bible...an ancient prophecy, in which the Persian King's name is mentioned 300 years before his birth!

Could you please help me to find this reference?
Isaiah named him, but [if I'm not wrong] it was about 200 years before.

44:28
who says of Cyrus, ‘He is my shepherd
and will accomplish all that I please;
he will say of Jerusalem, “Let it be rebuilt,”
and of the temple, “Let its foundations be laid.”’

Jan 2015
England

But there is no direct mention of Jews or of Jerusalem.]
But we have every reason to believe that they would have been included, since we know that they were among the peoples taken captive by the Babylonians (and we know that their temple had been destroyed).

@reitia, AlpinLuke is correct, it was about 200 years before, not 300.

Jul 2017
Crete
Isaiah named him, but [if I'm not wrong] it was about 200 years before.

44:28
Then it legitimises Persian rule, the absolute definition of Propaganda.

In the Book of Esther, Xerxes, the King of Persia was married to Esther , a Jewess, Her 'Jewish' name is suppose to be 'Hadassah' , when in fact it's Persian from 'Hutaosā' , (Atossa, the mother of Xerxes I) ,

The name 'Esther' is Persian too, related to the name 'Artazostre' , the couplet 'Esther and Mordecai' are found in Herodotus as 'Artazostre and Mardonius' , they are Persians, with Persian names and they where Zoroastrians (not Jews), seem to evoke the name Zorobabel and so it seems the entire Babylonian captivity was propaganda.

It seems the 'Persians ( not Babylonians or Egyptian) where taken people in as 'Captives'

The tribes living in the southern Colchis (Tibareni, Mossynoeci, Macrones, Moschi, and Marres) were incorporated into the 19th Satrapy of Persia, while the northern tribes submitted “voluntarily?” and had to send to the Persian court 100 girls and 100 boys every five years.

Last edited:
Aug 2013
Italy
Then it legitimises Persian rule, the absolute definition of Propaganda.

In the Book of Esther, Xerxes, the King of Persia was married to Esther , a Jewess, Her 'Jewish' name is suppose to be 'Hadassah' , when in fact it's Persian from 'Hutaosā' , (Atossa, the mother of Xerxes I) ,

The name 'Esther' is Persian too, related to the name 'Artazostre' , the couplet 'Esther and Mordecai' are found in Herodotus as 'Artazostre and Mardonius' , they are Persians, with Persian names and they where Zoroastrians (not Jews), seem to evoke the name Zorobabel and so it seems the entire Babylonian captivity was propaganda.

It seems the 'Persians ( not Babylonians or Egyptian) where taken people in as 'Captives'
Well, I agree that in the Persian historical sources, there is no mention of any Jewish queen or concubine named Esther.

The biblical mention of Cyrus two centuries before his birth is inriguing, however. In your opinion, is this prophecy, or later interpolation?

Jun 2013
ca
rationally, it would be interpolation.

or, evidence that this portion of isaiah was written after cyrus was around

AlpinLuke

Forum Staff
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
rationally, it would be interpolation.

or, evidence that this portion of isaiah was written after cyrus was around
And the textual research would sustain this option: there are no "original" copies of the Book of Isaiah from such a far past. And to say all, the most credited theory about its composition is that it had composed [using older material] in the V century BCE [so after Cyrus ...].

On the other hand, Josephus Flavius sustained that the prophecies about Cyrus were genuine and written in VIII century BCE [and that Cyrus knew about them].

Status
Closed