Did the Minie Ball really change warfare that much?

Jul 2016
USA
Post reported.

I'm tired of your browbeating, nit just in this thread, but everywhere.

Aggie is really atilla006 a permanently banned member. Are you going to deny that?
Yes, I'm going to deny it. You asked me that in a private message a while ago and I told you then what I'm telling now. I'm not that person.

You don't like my posts, ignore them.

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
Yes, I'm going to deny it. You asked me that in a private message a while ago and I told you then what I'm telling now. I'm not that person.

You don't like my posts, ignore them.
Not so fast, buddy.

How did I know you liked the Wire? Because we had these discussions when you were posing as atilla. That one slipped by you, huh?

It's right there for anyone to see.

Same military stories/experience, except now you're claiming you were Navy instead of Army/Marines.

Same disdain for police.

Same thought and arguments about Roman history/military stuff.

And most importantly, the same infamous inability to get along.... that's why you were banned in the first place.

Jul 2016
USA
Not so fast, buddy.

How did I know you liked the Wire? Because we had these discussions when you were posing as atilla. That one slipped by you, huh?

It's right there for anyone to see.

Same military stories/experience, except now you're claiming you were Navy instead of Army/Marines.

Same disdain for police.

Same thought and arguments about Roman history/military stuff.

And most importantly, the same infamous inability to get along.... that's why you were banned in the first place.
Watching The Wire? It was a hit show. Barrack Obama said it was his favorite show. Am I him too? I also liked Rome, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, Eastbound and Down, Sopranos, True Detective, Westworld, Silicon Valley, Barry, John Adams. Any other tv shows I'm not allowed to like?

I have disdain for the entire human race. LEO are included, as are most other professions.

I served in the military along with millions of others. Wow, you found a veteran on a message board. We're all the same person.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
Yes, but also a magazine with double the capacity of it's German counterpart. Surely, that was a factor in the amount of fire that could be laid down, no?
in reloading most of the time is taking the stripper clip and and inserting it in the rifle. Doing this once every 5 shots or twice every 10 shots is not a lot of difference. Time spent reloading is essentially teh same in both cases,

Jul 2016
USA
in reloading most of the time is taking the stripper clip and and inserting it in the rifle. Doing this once every 5 shots or twice every 10 shots is not a lot of difference. Time spent reloading is essentially teh same in both cases,
12-15 rounds per minute is usually seen as about the max any bolt action can practically do in terms of accurate shots on a single target in a minute, including reloads. In that, the SMLE wasn't much different than the Mauser or anything else. The difference was doctrine, the British emphasized long range volley fire with rifles with rapid fire, nobody else did. So when German riflemen began taking heavy long range fire and they thought it was machine guns it was because for them riflemen were not used for such techniques.

pugsville

Ad Honorem
Oct 2010
12-15 rounds per minute is usually seen as about the max any bolt action can practically do in terms of accurate shots on a single target in a minute, including reloads. In that, the SMLE wasn't much different than the Mauser or anything else. The difference was doctrine, the British emphasized long range volley fire with rifles with rapid fire, nobody else did. So when German riflemen began taking heavy long range fire and they thought it was machine guns it was because for them riflemen were not used for such techniques.
Which is basically what I've been saying., doctrine and training beng more important than equipment.(as I said in post #38) despite often butting heads on other subjects here we're in furious agreement.

Jul 2016
USA
Which is basically what I've been saying., doctrine and training beng more important than equipment.(as I said in post #38) despite often butting heads on other subjects here we're in furious agreement.
I've not been disagreeing with anyone really, just adding some extra material. I think you're correct. Overall, nothing simple about this subject, at this point we're discussing over a century of warfare and numerous technological advances and doctrinal ones of the sort a single gigantic book couldn't really do it justice.

Similar History Discussions