Did the ROmans ever proscribe women?

Oct 2017
South Australia
I'm sure others can fill you in on the proscriptions specifically but I know in general the Romans didn't really have any qualms about killing women.

Off the top of my head, I'm pretty sure that a lot of the time when men were proscribed their wives and other members of their households were often killed too, but I don't think there were many women on the proscription lists themselves as they weren't players in the main political arena. However, they did have a lot of influence behind the scenes so some really well-known women were probably proscribed.

Oct 2018
Sydney
Certainly once Rome was being ruled by imperial dynasties women could be killed (Agrippina the Elder, Messalina, Agrippina the Younger, Lucilla, Bruttia Crispina, Caecilia Paulina, Prisca, Galeria Valeria, Fausta), in part because marriage to a dynastically-significant woman and the possibility of procreation from said marriage was a powerful political move against one's rivals. I know less about the Republican proscriptions.

Oct 2017
South Australia
Judicial killing of virgins was, however, rather frowned upon. So in some cases they raped them first.
True. Ah yes, a typically horrible example of the kind of bizarre logic and that makes the ancient world seem so alien to us.. until you start thinking back to some of the awful things humans have done even in modern times

Capture1.PNG
Asterix anyone?

Reactions: Olleus

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
The proscriptions were not only about killing, many individuals on the list were not even subject to execution. But there was one constant, confiscation of property. As for women, besides a very few select cases female Romans could not legally own property, women fell under the paterfamilia who controlled the wealth of the family, to include a husband in control of his wife's dowry.

Sep 2019
Vergina
Checked Plutarch's Life of Sulla. It looks like in Sulla's proscription women were not killed along with their sons-husbands: "husbands were butchered in the embraces of their wedded wives, and sons in the arms of their mothers."

aggienation

Ad Honorem
Jul 2016
USA
Can proscription affect someone who can't own properties?
Say a teenage Roman girl's father is proscribed. They lose every bit of wealth and property, daddy gets his head chopped off, the family is destroyed. Now what happens to her?

Aug 2015
Los Angeles
Say a teenage Roman girl's father is proscribed. They lose every bit of wealth and property, daddy gets his head chopped off, the family is destroyed. Now what happens to her?
I should rephrase, can you proscribe someone with no property.