Did the US ever seriously consider creating a monarchy after independence?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Did the US ever seriously consider creating a monarchy after independence? I know that the US Constitution (written in 1787) states that the US and all US states should have a republican form of government, but I was wondering if at any time before that there was significant support for establishing a monarchy in the US.

Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Wasn't colonial Pennsylvania established with a hereditary governorship?

I know that there are several members with a specialty in early US History that will provide you with something in depth. I just mentioned the first example of a hereditary chief executive. While these governors weren't allowed to wear crowns, seems to be the monarchical principle in effect.

EDIT: you are specifically saying AFTER 1783?

With the Roosevelts and with the Bushes each younger family member had their careers advanced through the cousin's and father's achievement. But a formal establishment of an elective monarchy, no.

Last edited:

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Wasn't colonial Pennsylvania established with a hereditary governorship?

I know that there are several members with a specialty in early US History that will provide you with something in depth. I just mentioned the first example of a hereditary chief executive. While these governors weren't allowed to wear crowns, seems to be the monarchical principle in effect.
When'd Pennsylvania abandon the hereditary governorship idea?

Jul 2009
When'd Pennsylvania abandon the hereditary governorship idea?
I believe that the Penn family lost its proprietary rights in Pennsylvania sometime after the D.o.I. They did not lose their own property, but they no longer were in such a position of power - just citizens.

EDIT: Upon the establishment of The Commonwealth of Pennsylvania in 1776, the Penns were no longer proprietors. The constitution of 1776 was ratified 28 Sept., 1776.

Last edited:

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Did the US ever seriously consider creating a monarchy after independence? I know that the US Constitution (written in 1787) states that the US and all US states should have a republican form of government, but I was wondering if at any time before that there was significant support for establishing a monarchy in the US.
I would say no. The Articles were being drafted at the same time as the Declaration.
From Wiki
"On June 12, 1776, a day after appointing a committee to prepare a draft of the Declaration of Independence, the Second Continental Congress resolved to appoint a committee of 13 to prepare a draft of a constitution for a union of the states."