Did the USSR use Bazookas in WW2?

Aug 2016
US&A
I like to play an RTS called Company of Heroes 2. In it, the Soviets do not carry anything like bazookas, being restricted to PTRS AT rifles to bring down light tanks and vehicles. I don't think this game is realistic, but it made me wonder if the Soviets used any anti-tank weapons like bazookas in WW2. Did they make their own, or were they entirely dependent on lend-lease? How commonly did they equip their troops with such weapons?

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
I used to play a game called Close Combat 3: The Russian Front. In that game, the Russians had two man AT units that were armed with the Bazooka. How historically accurate that was....IDK.

Found this...fwiw....

"In 1944 the Soviets extensively tested new anti-tank weapons, including the German Panzerfaust and Panzerschreck as well as the US bazooka. They decided to produce their own design combining the best features of all of these, and started development under G.P. Lominskiy at the Main Artillery Directorate's Small Arms and Mortar Research Range.[1]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG-1

Last edited:
Aug 2016
US&A
I used to play a game called Close Combat 3: The Russian Front. In that game, the Russians had two man AT units that were armed with the Bazooka. How historically accurate that was....IDK.

Found this...fwiw....

"In 1944 the Soviets extensively tested new anti-tank weapons, including the German Panzerfaust and Panzerschreck as well as the US bazooka. They decided to produce their own design combining the best features of all of these, and started development under G.P. Lominskiy at the Main Artillery Directorate's Small Arms and Mortar Research Range.[1]"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/RPG-1
Thanks, I was just thinking about how the famous Soviet/Russian RPG series looked very different from bazookas and panzershrecks.

redcoat

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Stockport Cheshire UK
I like to play an RTS called Company of Heroes 2. In it, the Soviets do not carry anything like bazookas, being restricted to PTRS AT rifles to bring down light tanks and vehicles. I don't think this game is realistic, but it made me wonder if the Soviets used any anti-tank weapons like bazookas in WW2. Did they make their own, or were they entirely dependent on lend-lease? How commonly did they equip their troops with such weapons?
About 3,000 Bazooka's were supplied to the Soviets as part of lend-lease with around 5,000 rockets, but after testing the Soviets decided they didn't like the weapon and so declined further deliveries.
They may have issued those that were already delivered but I have no info on that point, though the very small number of rockets delivered, about one and a half to each tube, would have greatly restricted their use

Last edited:

Menshevik

Ad Honorem
Dec 2012
here
About 3,000 Bazooka's were supplied to the Soviets as part of lend-lease with around 5,000 rockets, but after testing the Soviets decided they didn't like the weapon and so declined further deliveries.
They may have issued those that were already delivered but I have no info on that point, though the very small number of rockets delivered, about one and a half to each tube, would have greatly restricted their use
Why didn't they like them?