Did things not go smoothly?

Jul 2016
USA
To frame this in the proper context:

What traditional diplomacy looks like: Feb 2012, Hudson Institute: Obama's 'Victory' with North Korea

Harsh words and nothing else: Sep 2016, USA Today: Obama: U.S. will not accept a nuclear North Korea

Outright capitulation: Aug 2017, CNN: North Korea will be a nuclear power. We need to accept that now

Why hasn't Orange Man gotten in line yet?: Sep 2017, Huffpost: The U.S. Has To Accept North Korea As A Nuclear Power

Orange Man is dangerous: Oct 2017, Reuters: Hillary Clinton says U.S. threats of war with North Korea 'dangerous, short-sighted'

Orange Man is evil: Dec 2017, RT: ‘Bloodthirsty tirade’: Russian FM decries US threats to destroy North Korea

Wait, now its starting to make sense...: Jun 2018, The Atlantic: Why Can’t Democrats Give Trump Credit on North Korea?

Before anyone praises Trump, remember that Obama was almost just as aggressive with North Korea too!: Sept 2018, Japan Times: Obama weighed pre-emptive strike against North Korea after fifth nuclear blast and missile tests near Japan in 2016, Woodward book claims

This is political theater and nothing more. Nobody did crap about North Korean nukes until Trump was president. They complained the whole way. First that it was stupid. Then that it was dangerous. Then that summits wouldn't happen. Then that summits were traitorous. Then that the summits didn't get a deal. Eventually a deal will be made and they'll find something else to complain about, because Trump is their political enemy and enemies deserve no mercy.

heylouis

Ad Honorem
Apr 2013
China
I'm sure you know who it refers to.
i don't know.

China?

anyway, not fans of your sarcasm style that keeping the meaning in dark clouds. (not the sarcasm, please make some good sarcasm!) (but i really don't see through the clouds)

my opinions are clear whatever you clouds over there. two concerns, it is easy to see it is not, it should not be, a game about who tricks whom to yield first.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
ALL foreign policy is domestic policy , for everybody
I believe Trump is a master tactician , he got what he wanted , the headlines for a week ... the rest is not important

Jul 2016
USA
I believe Trump is a master tactician , he got what he wanted , the headlines for a week ... the rest is not important
If he wanted headlines he could have grabbed a cheap victory with an agreement and/or treaty signing, where North Korea "promises" to work to de-nuclearize and in exchange sanctions/embargoes are dropped. But he didn't. Instead he's dragged through the coals because he didn't capitulate. Nice headlines.

Jul 2009
According to the US Defense Department, the US will "end" large scale military exercises with South Korea. Evidently POTUS did give away something for nothing once more.

POTUS complains that such exercises are too expensive and the South doesn't pay enough for them. This is the "transactional mentality" that shows a lack of understanding both of the concept of readiness, and also of the impact such short sight has on strategic necessity.

Jul 2009
Unfortunately POTUS is more a huckster-showman than anything. As long as he is the center of attention, and can deflect anything negative he has met his criteria for political success. He knows and understands nothing about strategy nor does he care. The interests of the United States are not the interests of POTUS.

Jul 2016
USA
According to the US Defense Department, the US will "end" large scale military exercises with South Korea. Evidently POTUS did give away something for nothing once more.

POTUS complains that such exercises are too expensive and the South doesn't pay enough for them. This is the "transactional mentality" that shows a lack of understanding both of the concept of readiness,

and also of the impact such short sight has on strategic necessity.
Hurrah, finally somebody who knows exactly what he's talking about.

Oh wait: Mattis: US-South Korea 2019 Foal Eagle Exercise to Be 'Reorganized'

Orange Man delays exercise and sabotages strategy, then sabotaging talks after sabotaging peace. Orange man bad and stupid!

Jul 2016
USA
Unfortunately POTUS is more a huckster-showman than anything. As long as he is the center of attention, and can deflect anything negative he has met his criteria for political success. He knows and understands nothing about strategy nor does he care. The interests of the United States are not the interests of POTUS.
Wouldn't a huckster-showman just make any deal to get in the headlines to prove their diplomatic skill? Like all previous POTUS who signed asinine agreements that did squat, but tried to use it to appear statesmanlike to the press?

Either way, Orange Man bad!

Edratman

Ad Honorem
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
If he wanted headlines he could have grabbed a cheap victory with an agreement and/or treaty signing, where North Korea "promises" to work to de-nuclearize and in exchange sanctions/embargoes are dropped. But he didn't. Instead he's dragged through the coals because he didn't capitulate. Nice headlines.
From what I have read, it seems that it was N. Korea that walked away from the table, not the US.