Did things not go smoothly?

Jul 2009
From what I have read, it seems that it was N. Korea that walked away from the table, not the US.
N.K. has been playing POTUS for a year. Not only is there no intention to "denuclearize," but in the past year N.K. has been expanding its launch facilities and further improving its arsenal of weapons.

Due to the potential threat, it is less likely that Japan will NOT develop its own nukes, which would increase the chances of a nuclear exchange in east Asia. That eventuality is not the fault of the president of the US, but he is foolish for being played as he has been.

Thus far in two years the most important US foreign policy moves have benefited the adversaries of the United States. The president tends to believe everything he is told by his good friends Xi and Kim, and his man-crush Mr. Putin will apparently be deploying new weapons targeted at his Komrade's country.

Last edited:
May 2018
Houston, TX
How can you post that nonsense on a history forum?

Neville Chamberlain took the first deal offered because he held no cards, because Britain was not ready for war. He folded because he had no choice and then sold the agreement to the public as a diplomatic victory to stop future German aggression.

Trump didn't agree to anything, he walked out of the room.
You are right, my comparison is totally wrong. Apologies.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Trump perfectly knew that if he signed some agreement , the star of the discussion would be the agreement text
it would take the focus from the main point which was him

I believe he went to the meeting not to get an agreement but to strike a pose
to have lasted the full allocated time with no text would be a plus to Kim
since he had held the US president attention for two days
by leaving early Trump show that whatever Kim though of himself was irrelevant
basically he was a football being kicked to the side lines

Edratman

Ad Honorem
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
There was an American politician who said in the past two or three years that he did not have respect for someone who was shot down in Vietnam. Who was that?????

Edratman

Ad Honorem
Feb 2009
Eastern PA
From FOX News!!!!!!!!!!!!!

HANOI, Vietnam – President Donald Trump said he walked away from his second summit with North Korean leader Kim Jong Un because Kim demanded the U.S. lift all of its sanctions, a claim that North Korea's delegation called a rare news conference in the middle of the night to deny.

So who's telling the truth? In this case, it seems that the North Koreans are. And it's a demand they have been pushing for weeks in lower-level talks.

But a senior State Department official who briefed the media acknowledged what Pyongyang was seeking was the lifting of sanctions that impede the civilian economy and people's livelihood — as the North claimed.

Officials say Trump overstated Kim's demand on sanctions

Jul 2009
Trump perfectly knew that if he signed some agreement , the star of the discussion would be the agreement text
it would take the focus from the main point which was him

I believe he went to the meeting not to get an agreement but to strike a pose
to have lasted the full allocated time with no text would be a plus to Kim
since he had held the US president attention for two days
by leaving early Trump show that whatever Kim though of himself was irrelevant
basically he was a football being kicked to the side lines
You have a clear view of that aspect of the POTUS's personality. It is all about the show, and he has to see himself as the winner at all times. If he cannot win, he declares victory anyway as he has in the past, or he walks away. He cannot handle being seen as the loser.

On a side note to the failed meeting, POTUS has a lot of issues at home these days. He would be much better served letting the lower level officials handle most of the discussion with N.K., but he cannot stand that. It has to be all about him, even if the other side is playing him for time - which is what N.K. has been doing all along.

Last edited:
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
Better than before, perhaps rescued from himself by Pompeo? I'm not a fan of the president, if something good comes from narcissism and volatility, and it confuses allies and enemies alike, that is not a star I would hitch too.

Last edited: