Did Truman's Foreign Policy Contain the Spread of Communism?

Was Truman's Policy Necessary to Contain Communism?

• Yes, it was

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • No, it wasn't

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • It's complicated

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • Other answers

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
May 2012
Puerto Rico
Salutations:

So I've been thinking a bit about the legacy of Harry S. Truman's foreign policy. The 33rd U.S. President is certainly remembered far more for his foreign policy than for his domestic policy. Some things that happened under Truman:

1) The founding of the UN
2) The founding of NATO
3) The Rio Pact
4) The founding of the OAS
5) The creation of the CIA
6) The creation of the Department of Defense
7) The Marshall Plan
8) The Berlin Airlift
9) An intervention in Greece
10) The Korean War

So, my question is this: would Communism have spread further if Truman hadn't done what he did? Was the US a necessary counterweight to Communism? Or, is there more to it than that?

Oct 2014
kenya
Salutations:

So I've been thinking a bit about the legacy of Harry S. Truman's foreign policy. The 33rd U.S. President is certainly remembered far more for his foreign policy than for his domestic policy. Some things that happened under Truman:

2) The founding of NATO
3) The Rio Pact
7) The Marshall Plan
8) The Berlin Airlift
10) The Korean War

So, my question is this: would Communism have spread further if Truman hadn't done what he did? Was the US a necessary counterweight to Communism? Or, is there more to it than that?
Yes, if the USA didn't have a response then communism would have spread. Remember most of the world had been subjugated by imperialists & communism offered support for liberation movements. So USA countered this gift of political freedom by offering economic freedom.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Salutations:

2) The founding of NATO
3) The Rio Pact
7) The Marshall Plan
8) The Berlin Airlift
10) The Korean War

Yes--without Truman's policies, I would think that, at the very least, South Korea and West Berlin would have also become Communist.

May 2012
Puerto Rico
Yes, if the USA didn't have a response then communism would have spread. Remember most of the world had been subjugated by imperialists & communism offered support for liberation movements. So USA countered this gift of political freedom by offering economic freedom.
Are you suggesting that economic and political freedom were mutually exclusive in any way?

Feb 2013
'Containing Communism' in quite a few cases at the time (Mossadeqh, Suez, Vietnam, Guatemala) was really the same imperialism that existed before the war given a thin Cold War veil. The degree to which Communism was or was not involved was less than either Washington or Moscow would admit, and there are cases like with the later pattern with Saddam Hussein of the Soviets backing anti-Communist movements for immediate gains knowing their proxies hated their guts.

Oct 2013
Europix
Don't think it contained "communism" from spreading. In some times/places it reinforced it, giving him a "devilish enemy"...some other times/places it contained it.

Anyway, mainly it contained Soviet Union, the 2nd big winner of the WW2.

I have the impression that the 2 superpowers would have been somehow in the same opposition even if Soviet Union would have not been communist.

Similar History Discussions