Did Tsarist Russia ever make a claim on Kurdistan?

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
I thought that Assad and the Kurds could be reconciled?

A Russian expansion into Antioch would have created a huge salient, no?
I won't respond to the first part, per this isn't a current events thread.

Now, to the second, recall I mentioned the would-be American mandate agreed to under Versailles? Well, it is most of Eastern Anatolia, including what is today Turkish Kurdistan. So, I guess I am suggesting that the League of Nations mandate to a Kerensky-led "peasant-Bourgeois" coalition Russia would look a lot like the mandate which USA (at least Wilson) was prepared to administer, with simply some of Northern Syria appended to it.

Or did I get ahead of myself with that explanation? Will check tomorrow...

Reactions: Futurist

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I won't respond to the first part, per this isn't a current events thread.

Now, to the second, recall I mentioned the would-be American mandate agreed to under Versailles? Well, it is most of Eastern Anatolia, including what is today Turkish Kurdistan. So, I guess I am suggesting that the League of Nations mandate to a Kerensky-led "peasant-Bourgeois" coalition Russia would look a lot like the mandate which USA (at least Wilson) was prepared to administer, with simply some of Northern Syria appended to it.

Or did I get ahead of myself with that explanation? Will check tomorrow...
Your point here doesn't undercut my point about the salient, though. Had this mandate been extended all of the way up to Antioch, it would have created a huge salient:

Wilsonian Armenia - Wikipedia

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
Great map, thank you.

It appears that I was very inaccurate in my memory of the boundaries of Wilsonian Armenia.

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
I thought that larger portion of Turkey's East was part of the mandate. The sources look impeccable for wikipedia, so I'd have to say that if Russia wanted that window on the Mediterranean they would likely be making some concessions around Manchuria, etc in the Pacific. Even with some Far East trade, there is some doubt that the UK will agree.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I thought that larger portion of Turkey's East was part of the mandate. The sources look impeccable for wikipedia, so I'd have to say that if Russia wanted that window on the Mediterranean they would likely be making some concessions around Manchuria, etc in the Pacific. Even with some Far East trade, there is some doubt that the UK will agree.
I thought that Japan kicked Russia out of Manchuria in 1905?

Reactions: Kotromanic

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
For what it's worth, I started this thread because I was wondering how Mosul would look like if it would have ended up under Russian rule.

Mar 2014
San Mateo County, California, USA.
Much of the area in present day Eastern Turkey now claimed by Kurds, was formerly the Ottoman Armenian Homeland, and part of the Armenian Highlands. Islamic Ottomans encouraged Islamic Kurds to infiltrate areas that were formerly Armenian, and through the centuries, the Kurdish presence gradually became more powerful. Kurds did the same thing to the Assyrians, and many of them actively participated in the century old genocide against Christian Armenians and Assyrians. Kurds need to establish a more unified agenda; otherwise, they can't be trusted.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Much of the area in present day Eastern Turkey now claimed by Kurds, was formerly the Ottoman Armenian Homeland, and part of the Armenian Highlands. Islamic Ottomans encouraged Islamic Kurds to infiltrate areas that were formerly Armenian, and through the centuries, the Kurdish presence gradually became more powerful. Kurds did the same thing to the Assyrians, and many of them actively participated in the century old genocide against Christian Armenians and Assyrians. Kurds need to establish a more unified agenda; otherwise, they can't be trusted.
What more unified agenda are you thinking of here?