Did Winston Churchhill have bipolar disorder?

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
While that about Grant is off-point here, it would be on-point in the discussion on the American history thread re the way the southern view of the War triumphed in the late 19th and early 20th C.
Oh reeaaally? :think: Just over in 'Re The Way the Southern View of the War Truimphed in the Late 19th & 20th C', eh? Well........

:winktongue:

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
I think it says a lot about the small-mindedness of America that Ulysses S. Grant is often cited as being an alcoholic when he actually abstained for the large portion of his adult life. Churchill imbibed constantly but the habit is a historical footnote.
The olderI get, the more I appreciate Ulysses S Grant. He was a good man, a great general and a pretty good president who was in many ways, betrayed by his “friends”. He did write a great autobiography.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
He did write a great autobiography.
He had been swindled out of his money by Fernand Ward... just as he was finding out he had throat cancer... he sat up, night and day, writing his memoirs (years after other had rushed to cash in on their own Civil War writings) in order to provide for his family, knowing his end was near. :crying: He was a great guy.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
It this was true it will mean that to have bipolar disorder makes you better ... I want bipolar disorder!
You want Bipolar I then... avoid Bipolar II. Just mind the downturns... Or, you could opt for hyperthyroidism - all the sleeplessness and agitated energy of mania, with none of the psychological upsets.

Feb 2019
Pennsylvania, US
LOL! You can have mine.

Something is tanking my thyroid... At midnight I'll be bright and alert and do spontaneous things (like cutting my hair with a straight razor). The worst part is that I didn't do anything about it because initially my doctor told me it may be Bipolar. I know about bipolar, and it didn't seem that I was presenting the same cognitive symtpoms, but the strange thing is that I felt so ashamed that I didn't even argue the point... later it turned out my thyroid blood levels were crazy high.

It made me realize that it's kinda important to have these sort of “champions” for different medical or psychiatric maladies, because there is stigma attached and people need to realize that if Churchill had bipolar, having bipolar didn't stop Churchill from being an incredible guy. You can have bipolar and still be an incredibly inspiring, history-making person.

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
Not saying you are wrong, davor, but there is a difference between being "dependent" and being "alcoholic" and either way I think WC was right when he said "I have taken much more from alcohol than alcohol has taken from me."
It's also the case that people with Bipolar generally can drink quite a lot without being affected by alcohol. That would go a long way in explaining his drinking habits...

Apr 2018
Upland, Sweden
LOL! You can have mine.

Something is tanking my thyroid... At midnight I'll be bright and alert and do spontaneous things (like cutting my hair with a straight razor). The worst part is that I didn't do anything about it because initially my doctor told me it may be Bipolar. I know about bipolar, and it didn't seem that I was presenting the same cognitive symtpoms, but the strange thing is that I felt so ashamed that I didn't even argue the point... later it turned out my thyroid blood levels were crazy high.

It made me realize that it's kinda important to have these sort of “champions” for different medical or psychiatric maladies, because there is stigma attached and people need to realize that if Churchill had bipolar, having bipolar didn't stop Churchill from being an incredible guy. You can have bipolar and still be an incredibly inspiring, history-making person.
There is even a case to be made that you can have bipolar, and if you manage it well chances are higher you might be an incredibly inspiring, history-making person.

Not to romanticize a mental condition that can be quite distressing for many (I know people with it that make a heroic job just to get out of bed on their downturns), but it seems to be the case that many non-average people in history have had some characteristics that we moderns like to classify as "mental disorders".

While as I said, one should be mindful of romanticization, but on the other hand I get mindful by people who are too keen to systematize and classify everything according to a "healthy"/ "unhealthy" scale based on our current understanding of medicine. I don't think we should mistrust and try to change mother nature so much, rather try to live with it as best we can... when that is possible anyway. But it's also probably good that Lithium works as well as it does, for many with more serious forms of bipolar.

Last edited: