Difference between 'living in the past' and keeping one's heritage ?

Sep 2010
Bahrain
So often have I heard this before. Some people here are urged to drop the traditional clothing we have here (the thobe)

..in an attempt to modernize. But isn't that sorta disregarding one's heritage ? Or if a Turk (or Greek ;)) wears a fez, is (s)he living in the past or trying to keep his/her heritage ?

In other words.. what's the difference ? :confused:

And NO - I don't wear thobes. I'm already as white as it gets :lol: (darn you thalassemia!)

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
I don't think wearing traditional clothing has anything to do with living in the past. People may feel better if they dress this way, or it may be a way to express.

However, adopting other fashions also does not equal a betrayal of one's heritage. Personally, I feel great to see English uniting us all in debate, and as part of the global culture we are forming, I also am happy to see so many different peoples from all over the world in common clothing. I no longer see it as western clothing; I take it as the world styles.

Richard Stanbery

Ad Honorem
Jan 2009
Tennessee
Living in the past? As opposed to traditions?

Well, I dont call it that. I just tend to see it another way. I think of it as just having alternate methods of accomplishing something.

For example, we use tractors on the farm, but I was taught how to farm using many methods, including the stone age (hands and sticks) way. That is living in the past, using stone age technology to farm with.

But sometimes, if you are in a hurry, and have a small task to do, then why not just do it the stone age way, and get it done? After all, the tractor might be in the shop, or you might not have one, or it may be broke down (or sold off, in this current depression).

So, if somebody resorts to an older, simpler way of doing things, that may not be that they are living in the past. it may just mean that the older, simpler method may be what works the best in a given situational.

Vladd

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
England
I think living in the past is more to do with the carrying on the grudges and hatreds of your ancestors and not trying to exist in the now, rather than what you choose to wear.

Zeno

Ad Honoris
Jan 2010
♪♬ ♫♪♩
If you stick to something long enough, it (and you) become hip again. Or cool, or fashionable or well, like, you know, what4v4r.

Jake10

Ad Honoris
Oct 2010
Canada
I think living in the past is more to do with the carrying on the grudges and hatreds of your ancestors and not trying to exist in the now, rather than what you choose to wear.

I agree. This is something far more important than the clothes we wear.

tjadams

Ad Honoris
Mar 2009
Texas
Very true.

Salah

Forum Staff
Oct 2009
Maryland
I'll echo Jake and TJ and strongly agree with Vladd's sentiments.

Efendi

Ad Honoris
Jul 2009
Anatolia
So often have I heard this before. Some people here are urged to drop the traditional clothing we have here (the thobe)

..in an attempt to modernize. But isn't that sorta disregarding one's heritage ? Or if a Turk (or Greek ;)) wears a fez, is (s)he living in the past or trying to keep his/her heritage ?

In other words.. what's the difference ? :confused:

And NO - I don't wear thobes. I'm already as white as it gets :lol: (darn you thalassemia!)
I think no matter whatever people around you say, you arent less or more modern.

Modernity means being aware of present time. following the new developments, technologies, which would increase our quality of life. I like Fes. It fit very nice on a suit.