Difference between nationalism and patriotism?

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Scots have always seen themselves separate from English and resisted English rule until the Act of the union of 1707 due to financial problems.

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
The act of union established a union, it didn't establish English rule over the Scots, who subsequently exercised greater influence ove the affairs of the kingdom (and notably of the empire) than might be expected from their relative numbers.

Feb 2016
Japan
Not all patriots are nationalists.
But most nationalists will be patriotic.

But I’m not sure if nationalism can be retrofit to the medieval period.

Most Scottish Lords had Anglo-Norman ancestors, lowland Scots had considerable Anglos-Saxon heritage.... I doubt shared Scottish identity was motivation for Robert De Bruis power play.
Nationalism was just not a political thing then.

Devdas

Ad Honorem
Apr 2015
India
Not all patriots are nationalists.
But most nationalists will be patriotic.

But I’m not sure if nationalism can be retrofit to the medieval period.

Most Scottish Lords had Anglo-Norman ancestors, lowland Scots had considerable Anglos-Saxon heritage.... I doubt shared Scottish identity was motivation for Robert De Bruis power play.
Nationalism was just not a political thing then.
Do Scottish speakers and Gaelic speakers seem themselves different from each other, or does Scottish speaker saw themselves similar to English people.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
With the risk that the matter is simply semantic, technically a patriot is an individual loyal to a homeland, a state, a country [so a legal institutional entity]; while a nationalist is an individual loyal to a nation [with or without a state and corresponding or not to a country], so an ethnic/cultural/religious ... entity.

Feb 2016
Japan
I can’t soeak for Scottish people today but I’d guess that in modern times they do not. They consider themselves all Scottish.

I’m not sure if this was the case in previous centuries.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
Kurds are today a great example of a nation without a state, so that Kurds are first of all nationalists, then, if they are loyal to Iraq, Syria ... [and it's not said, overall in the case of Syria] they are also patriots.

In the non far past there have been Jews who considered themselves a nation, but Israel wasn't, so that they were patriots only if they were loyal to the country which hosted them.

AlpinLuke

Ad Honoris
Oct 2011
Italy, Lago Maggiore
For example William Wallace of Scotland was a patriot or a nationalist?
To answer your question about William Wallace ... technically, if I remember well, he was both:

* he was a nationalist, since he fought for the Scottish nation
* he was a patriot, since he fought for the future of the Scottish kingdom [which already existed]

May 2013
The abode of the lord of the north
Nationalism is Patriotism gone off limits. Nationalism is blindly supporting nation's doings no matter how sinister it is. It is often associated with racism and such sectarianisms. It comes with a presupposed notion that my country is superior to everybody else's.

But I've seen Indian communists glorify Stalinist Soviet. Nationalism isn't necessarily limited to one's own nation it seems.