Difference between the Scythians and Sarmatians?

Jul 2019
Australia
I've been scanning the internet for a while about this but am yet to find much.

Aside from the use of cataphracts/lancers what was the actual difference between these people? It looks as though the Sarmatians went on to conquer/inhabit a larger area than the Scythians did (the Hungarian Plain) but that's all. There are also the Amazons but I'm pretty sure they existed in Scythian and Sarmatian culture.

Is it possible that the Sarmatians were just a tribe of Scythians that outgrew the others (possibly through their different military tactics) and eventually became the most prominent?

Nov 2014
Birmingham, UK
I was under the impression that Sarmatian tribes were spread rather more widely than modern Hungary, at their height anyway I thought they were as Far East as the (modern day Ukrainian) stepped and possibly further east still. If I can dig a reference out from the pile I think it's sitting in I'll get back to you.

Nov 2014
Birmingham, UK
And if you mean the Scythians were centred on the Hungarian plain I thought they were more widely-spread (and further east) too! But that's absolutely outside my meagre competence

Nov 2014
Birmingham, UK
Ok my quickest source is only an Osprey book but as I thought it's suggesting the origin of the Sarmatians (having gradually drifted westwards) was as eastern neighbours of the Scythians, between the Don and the Urals, they they moved to the Pontic steppe and forced the Scythians further West circa 200-300BC

Nov 2014
Birmingham, UK
Is it possible that the Sarmatians were just a tribe of Scythians that outgrew the others (possibly through their different military tactics) and eventually became the most prominent?
Not according to Osprey/Brzezinski and Mielczarek, no, both Iranic-speaking but separate peoples

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
To be honest, I never heard about Sarmatians nor Scythians being centered in Panonian plains. It's debatable even if they ever reached that much west except for raiding.

Jul 2019
Australia
I remember reading somewhere that the Sarmatians went further west that's all. I still thought that they occupied all the previous lands the Scythians did, including the pontic steppe. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Iazyges, who were considered a sarmatian tribe, settle somewhere in the eastern Hungarian plain?

Arminius, I actually have that book but that piece of information must have slipped past me. So the Sarmatians were a group of tribes that originally lived east of the Scythians (I presume somewhere between the Scythians and Massagetae)? Didn't the Thyssagetae or Budini (tribes mentioned by Herodotus) live somewhere around that area? could be related.

Reactions: macon

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
I remember reading somewhere that the Sarmatians went further west that's all. I still thought that they occupied all the previous lands the Scythians did, including the pontic steppe. Also, correct me if I'm wrong but didn't the Iazyges, who were considered a sarmatian tribe, settle somewhere in the eastern Hungarian plain?

Arminius, I actually have that book but that piece of information must have slipped past me. So the Sarmatians were a group of tribes that originally lived east of the Scythians (I presume somewhere between the Scythians and Massagetae)? Didn't the Thyssagetae or Budini (tribes mentioned by Herodotus) live somewhere around that area? could be related.
Jaziges and Roxolanes were foederati and settled in Panonian plaine, were they disappeared in a couple of centuries.

But from that to centered on Hungarian plane, it's a long way.

Maybe I misunderstood You?