Difference between the Scythians and Sarmatians?

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Serdica was actually founded by the celtic tribe Serdi, it was populated with thracians, slavs and bulgars among other ethnicities. It wasn't 100% slavs.
However it's really interesting why indeed the roman chronicles refer to them as Sauromatians. Because at the time that was written, the times of steppen warriors were long gone. This was at the time when the first bulgarian empire was gone after ruling the area for 300+ years, the area was under Roman rule and still they called them Sauromatian.
This theory belongs to James Prichard i believe. A quote from his 'Ethnography of Europe', page 433 "..Slavonians of the middle age were the same people who had been long known under the name of Sarmatae."
Source: Ethnography of Europe 3d ed.1841
Also it should be noted that sauromatae form was used by the earlier greek writers, whilst sarmatae was used by later greek and roman writers. Medieval byzantine writers as Attaleiates liked to use archaic terms from the distant past hence his sauromatae instead of sarmatae.
Thank You!

Sauromat for Slavs is simply a semantic slip, IMHO.

It happened often. In the same period, Western Catholics were called "Latins" altho Latin people and language disappeared for centuries, they were also called "Franji", although they weren't all Franks, for example.

That Slavs were called "Sauromant" in the chronicles isn't any proof that the Sauromant/Sarmat were actually Slavs. Exactly like in the same quote Petcheneg were called "Scythian", altho they weren't.

Jul 2017
Srpska
Sep 2012
Bulgaria
7th. century, another "romanticist" using antiquated words on his seal. Strabo was also romantic when he talked about Sarmati living south of Danube 0 AD. Smh.

The inscription says: "Of Mauros, patrikios and archon of the Sermesianoi and Bulgaroi".
Yes. This is the seal of Mauros, one of Kuber's chief supporters. According to Florin Curta these Sermesianoi are Roman refugees from Sirmium, Pannonia, what is today Sremska Mitrovica. What is exactly your point?

Jul 2017
Srpska
Yes. This is the seal of Mauros, one of Kuber's chief supporters. According to Florin Curta these Sermesianoi are Roman refugees from Sirmium, Pannonia, what is today Sremska Mitrovica. What is exactly your point?

The point is, if you can follow it, it maybe a little difficult for you to get:

For one thousand years, from 0 AD to 1050 AD, from Strabo to Atteliates, there are numerous sources telling you the same thing:
Sarmati live south of Danube in central Balkans!
There is nothing archaic about calling people of Serdica in 1050 AD by the name of Sarmati.
This maybe a lttle difficult to comprehend, but at least you're aware.

Last edited:
Siraces were not related to Circassians, were they? The names kind of sound close.
Well funnily enough initially I would of said no but then looking at the map Circassia is just South of the Siraces territory, literally by a few miles and the Circassians do reside in the area where there is a lot of Alan bloodline (Aorsi & Siraces).

Whether the modern peoples are more Armenian etc or if they do carry the alannic gene pool is unknown to me ......... but it very well could be.

The Caucaus is a mixture of Alan bloodlines and the Southern Armenian type peoples who lived South of the Caucaus mountains while the Alan gene pool would be more concentrated North of the mountains.

Circassia is North of the mountain ....... I'm just not sure of the modern peoples haven't migrated there from elsewhere or not?

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Well funnily enough initially I would of said no but then looking at the map Circassia is just South of the Siraces territory, literally by a few miles and the Circassians do reside in the area where there is a lot of Alan bloodline (Aorsi & Siraces).

Whether the modern peoples are more Armenian etc or if they do carry the alannic gene pool is unknown to me ......... but it very well could be.

The Caucaus is a mixture of Alan bloodlines and the Southern Armenian type peoples who lived South of the Caucaus mountains while the Alan gene pool would be more concentrated North of the mountains.

Circassia is North of the mountain ....... I'm just not sure of the modern peoples haven't migrated there from elsewhere or not?
It's logical: it's at a "pebble throwing" from Ossetia (another reminiscent of Sarmatians).

Interestingly, a branch had survived until late in the opposite direction: Jasz people - Wikipedia

Last edited: