Differing ethnic compositions of urban and rural areas

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Which cases have there been where the ethnic composition of urban areas have been different from the ethnic composition of the surrounding rural areas?

So far, I can think of:

-The Northern U.S., where the minority (Black, Hispanic, and/or Asian) presence is much greater in urban areas than in rural areas. The rural areas in the Northern U.S. are generally overwhelmingly White.

Here is a map where you can see this for yourself:

The Racial Dot Map: One Dot Per Person for the Entire U.S.

This rule doesn't appear to the Southeastern and Southwestern U.S., though. The Southeast has a lot of rural Blacks while the Southwest appears to have a lot of rural Hispanics.

-Western Europe--where I suspect the same principle applies as for the U.S. Specifically, I strongly suspect that the rural areas in Western Europe are much more White than the urban areas in Western Europe are (especially if one doesn't consider Middle Easterners to be White).

-The former USSR countries (excluding Russia itself, of course). In these countries, there is often a much greater Russian (and/or Russophone) presence in the urban areas than there is in the rural areas. There are a few exceptions such as northern Kazakhstan and southeastern Latvia where there appears to be a large Russian presence in rural areas as well, but generally speaking, the rural areas of the former Soviet Union are much less Russian (and/or Russophone) than the urban areas of the former Soviet Union.

For instance, here is an ethnic map of Estonia:

The rural areas are overwhelmingly Estonian whereas the urban areas are much less Estonian.

-Pre-Holocaust Eastern Europe (especially western Ukraine, Belarus, and perhaps Poland as well), where the Jewish presence was much greater in urban areas than in rural areas. Some cities in this region even had either a Jewish plurality or a Jewish majority whereas the Jewish percentage in the countryside nearby never reached those levels (at least, to my knowledge).

-French Algeria, where the pieds-noirs plus Jews made up a significant percentage of the total population in the urban areas but much less in the rural areas. The rural areas of French Algeria were, to my knowledge, overwhelmingly Muslim.

Are there any other examples where there is a discordance between the ethnic composition of urban areas and the ethnic composition of the surrounding rural areas?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
This map shows what I mean in regards to the Jews--specifically that they made up either a majority or plurality in various cities in western Ukraine, Belarus, and Poland. This map is based on the 1897 Imperial Russian Census:

Also, I forgot to mention the large German presence in cities in both Latvia and Estonia during the days of the Russian Empire. While the countryside in both Latvia and Estonia was overwhelmingly Latvian and Estonian, their cities contained very significant German populations. For instance, I think that Riga was a quarter German in 1867 while Reval (Tallinn) was a third German at some point in the 1800s.

Scaeva

Ad Honorem
Oct 2012
Ancient Carthage

Phoenicians in the city, Punicized Libyans in the countryside. Of course as a major city the population of Carthage would have been diverse and would have included Libyans. You'd also have some Punic landowners in the countryside, but the Libyans were native to North Africa while the Phoenicians were descended from colonists. The former surely outnumbered the latter beyond Carthage's walls.

Reactions: Futurist
Apr 2017
U.S.A.
Minorities have a large presence in urban areas in the south/southwest as well, the only difference is they have a presence in the rural areas there.

Other areas with large urban/rural population differences include Xinjiang/Tibet, inner mongolia (with Chinese in the cities), Central asia during the cold war (many Russians), parts of Siberia (Russians/natives), the various Russian republics (tatarstan, baskhorstan, etc.), Ireland (both, in relation to protestants/Catholics), Germans across eastern europe, Swedes in Finland, South Africa (whites in urban areas, indians in/around Durban), northern Iraq/Syria (large Turkish population in cities), Malaysia (Chinese have a large urban representation) and southeast Asia in general (many Chinese in urban areas throughout).

Reactions: Futurist