Digital reconstructions of castle ruins - feedback (PM) needed

Feb 2019
Denmark
I've made some digitial reconstructions of a Danish late-medieval/renaissance castle of which only few ruins remains left today.

I'd like to ask if anyone here would view my reconstruction attempts, please comment in this thread and I'll provide a link with the hidden youtube-videos in PM - it's short video animations of trebuchet, late-medieval cannon etc.

I'd like you to comment in PM.

Please be aware that the castle reconstructions have already been approved by a museum, so I can't really change anything, but feedback will be taken notice of and used in reconstructions in the future.

Feb 2019
Denmark
I can post a screenshot/still render of some of my reconstructions. I'd really appreciate feedback, you can comment in this thread.
This is the Hald Castle in 1528:

Reactions: Sundiata1
Feb 2019
Denmark
I wrote an article about my reconstructions of Hald Castle and the considerations I'd have to make from the very sparse information and archaeological findings. I'd really appreciate feedback/comments/critique from historians or other people with historical interest.
There are some short animations on this article as well, explaining in detail how each part of the castle works (drawbridge, cannon etc.).

As I've got permission to post this article on Historum, you don't have to reply in PM (as the title suggests) - just reply here.
Thanks in advance.

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
Excellent job, are you sure the tower had no roof in the 15th century?

Also the artillery piece is not a cannon, but probably a serpentine

Feb 2019
Denmark
Excellent job, are you sure the tower had no roof in the 15th century?

Also the artillery piece is not a cannon, but probably a serpentine
The tower was built in the 16th century (1528) and I was told by a medieval archaeologist it was better to reconstruct the tower without a roof because he didn't think it had a roof.
We will never know for sure, though.

Yes, it's a serpentine which has also been recorded in the castle's history.
I thought a serpentine was a type of cannon, I may be wrong though.

Frank81

Ad Honorem
Feb 2010
Canary Islands-Spain
The tower was built in the 16th century (1528) and I was told by a medieval archaeologist it was better to reconstruct the tower without a roof because he didn't think it had a roof.
We will never know for sure, though.

Yes, it's a serpentine which has also been recorded in the castle's history.
I thought a serpentine was a type of cannon, I may be wrong though.
Thanks for the clarification, but then, what was the evidence about that big tower on that side? It looks a bit odd to me

Cannon is a specific type of artillery, which name certainly equalled that of artillery piece through time. However, in the 15th-16th century it was not, cannon was a thing, a serpentine another

Feb 2019
Denmark
Thanks for the clarification, but then, what was the evidence about that big tower on that side? It looks a bit odd to me

Cannon is a specific type of artillery, which name certainly equalled that of artillery piece through time. However, in the 15th-16th century it was not, cannon was a thing, a serpentine another
There is a lot of evidence for the existence of the big round tower. First of all, 19th century paintings (and I believe, some photos) depicts the ruins.
Then there's the drawing by Resen in 1677 in Atlas Danicus.

Those ruins of the tower were removed in the 20th century, when the tower was rebuilt (still standing today). But the lower part not visible for the public, still remains.

I don't know what the evidence was for the crenulation instead of a roof in the early 16th century. I'm only reconstructing what I've been told.