Disappearance of Sarmatians

Aug 2011
Lubuskie
What happened to Iranic tribes living in today southern Ukraine and Russia, collectively called Sarmatians, in the end of antiquity?

In ancient times Indo-Iranic tribes called by Greeks and Romans firstly Scythes, later Sarmatians were main nomadic power on European steppe. But about the second half of 4th century situation began to change and Turkic tribes from Central Asia came on Pontic steppes. And then Sarmatians stopped to appear in sources. Their place on steppe was take by expanding Slavs and many Turkic tribes like Huns, Avars, Khazars.

Do we know when Sarmatian tribes ceased to exist as different ethnic group and where those people went? When did lost their political and military power over the steppe? Were they killed by newcomers or did they become part of new ethnic groups?

Shtajerc

Ad Honorem
Jul 2014
Lower Styria, Slovenia
I'd imagine they assimilated. There sure must be a link between them and the Slavs of the region. I'm not knowledgable enough about the subject although I'm sure others will know more.

Aug 2011
Lubuskie
Yes, it is sure that there were Iranic tribes which assimilated with Slavs. The best example are Anti, who were considered as one three main branches of Slavs by early medieval authors, but their name has clearly Iranic origin.

Other Sarmatian tribes could assimilate with Huns or Turkic peoples, like they did probably earlier in Central Asia.

Similar History Discussions