Discovery of Australia

Bart Dale

Ad Honorem
Dec 2009
OK, so everyone agrees that the Vikings/Norse/Scandinavians were first. Despite that, the impact of the Norwegians/Vikings, et al, discovery was negligible. I don’t really care about Columbus - he never made landfall in North America - and I’m not sure how savory a character he was, or exactly what country he was from, but, no matter - he certainly never set foot in North America.
That is.common, incorrect myth that Columbus never actually reached America,. He did reach reach the continent, just not on his first voyage, but on his 3rd voyage.
Columbus reached South America on his 3rd voyage, and explored the Orinoco River among other places.

Voyages of Christopher Columbus - Wikipedia

stevev

Ad Honorem
Apr 2017
Las Vegas, NV USA
Re Australia, I expect the International High Court will soon award me full and sole possession of said property (including Tasmania of course) based on Dutch discoveries in the 17th century. However I intend to make no changes if I am granted full citizenship and exemption from all taxes. I'm not even asking for a house; only a bit of shark protected beach. I have my own surfboard.:cool:

Last edited:
Reactions: Belgarion

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
That is.common, incorrect myth that Columbus never actually reached America,. He did reach reach the continent, just not on his first voyage, but on his 3rd voyage.

Columbus reached South America on his 3rd voyage, and explored the Orinoco River among other places.

Voyages of Christopher Columbus - Wikipedia
Quite true, Columbus reached not only the Caribbean Islands, South and Central America, and even recently in other forum I saw a member stating that he didn’t reach America, and from I have seen online in the last years, I agree with you there is an online myth about the theme.

But technically royal744 was right since he stated “North America”, but again it is a kind of irrelevant, since the Atlantic “bridge” had been built.

royal744

Ad Honoris
Jul 2013
San Antonio, Tx
Because the Norse discovery of the New World had no impact of the rest of the world, or even the New World.irself, and very little impact on the Norse world.itself. Columbus discoveries had a huge impact on Europe.and the rest of the world, even China. Columbus discoveries led to New World.crops coming to Europe and China, and many of those crops.are major sources of food in China, Europe and the rest of the world. That is why we commemorate Columbus and not Leif Erickson.We
Frankly, I prefer the Norse discovery. Columbus didn’t spend ten minutes in North America.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Malay navigators did landfall , in the night of ages
the dingo is supposed to be descended from dogs brought along (food ?)
however as is proper for an historical site , only written records of people who had been there need apply

Tulius

Ad Honorem
May 2016
Portugal
The Orinoco is not in North America.
Nobody here said that it was, royal744.

It was said that Columbus reached America. And the point was that in his third and fourth voyages he reached continental American and not just the Caribbean Islands. Most important, he opened the door to many other explorers, like Giovanni Caboto, Pedro Álvares Cabral, Amerigo Vespucci, just to say three of the most knwon.