Do most people think you're being political when you talk about history or current events?

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
The last historical conversation I had went something like this:

Our recent health problems leading to...
Knights Hospitallar leading to...
Knights Templar leading to...
The Crusader States leading to...
Baldwin IV of Jerusalem

Completely without the need to discuss the Arab Israeli conflict.

Feb 2019
Serbia
Depends on who you talk to. People who are educated in historical matters should be able to tell the difference, regular people vary form person to person. Some will try to use history to further a political agenda. In some cases people will resort to pseudo-history to fuel nationalism or an agenda and will completely disregard any criticism of it. I once was in contact with people who believed many pseudo-historic topics and when challenged they would dismiss it as propaganda or lying. In particular they had a strong bias against western scholarship, specifically against the British for some reason and I don't know why. If something that went against them would come from a domestic source or from a country they didn't seem to have a problem with they would just deny it and pull an appeal to authority and say how their authors are more qualified than mine. In the end it varies from person to person.

Jul 2019
Turkey
Yes, almost all the time. When i criticize a historical figure people start talking like " oh i did not know that you are ....." It is really annoying. Most of society has an intention to divinize the people they love in the history however they can not accept any criticism towards their "god".

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
The 20th century historical events and figures are still quite loaded in my country and often divisive along ideological lines, but 19-20th century history is not really my area of interest (in part exactly because it is still too loaded, politically too relevant...).
About current events... well, when we talk about them, it is usually not just a distant and neutral analysis but we also form an opinion about those which are usually inherently political, i.e. what we think should or shouldn't be done, what decisions, reactions we expect/want in relation to them... What is "political" if not that? :)
Talking about current events shows that you are concerned about the affairs of your polis, be that your local community or our common global village.

Last edited:

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
Now I realize that it's safer to act ignorant. Just talk about the Kardashians or some nerdy things and pretend nothing is going wrong. I
IMHO, that's the worse we could do.

If I say that after WWII, Eastern Europe (=> Communism) saw a significantly greater advance in women's emancipation and equality men-women, I am not a commy apologetic. I'm stating a fact.

If the person in front of doesn't understand that, I'm not going to talk about Kardashian (who's that ?!?).

I don't see why we should "step back" in front of people unable or unwilling to understand, to accept, to think.

It's their problem, not ours, after all.

Oct 2018
New Jersey
I noticed this with most people outside of this forum. I really don't like to talk politics. I'll talk about current events or history especially if I'm deeply concerned about a current event. The problem is when I express views that contradict the majority around me. People take me the wrong way. The first time was when I expressed my concerns about the war in Iraq many years ago. Only the professor agreed with me. My former classmates probably agree with me now as I haven't met anyone who was happy about that war for a long time. Unfortunately, this was long after I was done with that class and we all went our separate ways. This sort of thing happened again and again with other events after college. Now I realize that it's safer to act ignorant. Just talk about the Kardashians or some nerdy things and pretend nothing is going wrong. I think this was how the people who predicted the 2007-2008 financial crisis felt. From what I experienced, it's possible that they too were heavily ridiculed before the crisis began.
My family always thinks that I am being political when I try to talk about history. But I love talking politics, even though I only talk about them with my family, who have similar views to me. Do not act ignorant. I'd rather have no friends and be awake then have all the friends in the world and be a sheepie NPC.

Jun 2017
Connecticut
I noticed this with most people outside of this forum. I really don't like to talk politics. I'll talk about current events or history especially if I'm deeply concerned about a current event. The problem is when I express views that contradict the majority around me. People take me the wrong way. The first time was when I expressed my concerns about the war in Iraq many years ago. Only the professor agreed with me. My former classmates probably agree with me now as I haven't met anyone who was happy about that war for a long time. Unfortunately, this was long after I was done with that class and we all went our separate ways. This sort of thing happened again and again with other events after college. Now I realize that it's safer to act ignorant. Just talk about the Kardashians or some nerdy things and pretend nothing is going wrong. I think this was how the people who predicted the 2007-2008 financial crisis felt. From what I experienced, it's possible that they too were heavily ridiculed before the crisis began.
History is mostly just obsolete politics. I'd say 90% of events on these forums would be considered politics when they occurred. The biggest thing that breeds conflict is that old politics/history is normally done and the result of arguments have little tangible real world stakes, while modern politics is in motion and it is unclear how the story will be told. That uncertainty and the desire for the story to go the way one wants is the reason politics is more contentious than history where regardless of your feelings what's done is and done and nothing you say or do can have any impact on that.

Similar History Discussions