Do old white southerners want Jim Crow racial segregation laws to return?

Status
Closed
Feb 2016
jacksonville, fl
This image shows young white pro-segregationist white southerners during the Civil Rights movement in the early 1960s. I am sure most of these former white pro-segregationist protesters are alive today in old age, so I was wondering. Do they want Jim Crow laws to return? Do they still have segregationist views today? Do they still dislike African Americans?

Do they think that racial segregation laws should return in the South?

Attachments

Last edited:

robto

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
Lisbon, Portugal
Recently I was watching some old photos of those lynchings that mobs of white southerners tended against African Americans. I think many people don't know of how those lynchings draw very large crowds from almost all walks of life and all ages.
It was like the all community actively participated on the killings, and those lynchings continued to take place in Southern US through the 1940s.

Many people living in Southern US that are alive today are just the grands sons and sons of those people that enjoyed watching people being tortured, mutilated and burned alive.
It makes me wonder of how it was possible for that mindset to suddenly change so rapidly just over a generation... or there opinions regarding racial issues didn't' change that much?

I have nothing against Southern whites, btw. There are many aspects of their culture that I really am fond of and I think generally they are very nice people.

Code Blue

Ad Honorem
Feb 2015
Caribbean
Hell, I know young, white Northerners who want to return to those days.
The notion of separation is common throughout the world and world history. It seems only the governments in North American and Northern Europe are investing so much in acculturation and forced integration.

People forget that the KKK is, and always was, active in Ohio, Indiana, Illinois, Michigan, and other Yankee states.
I don't know if I would describe the KKK as "active." For contrast, FDR's first Supreme Court appointment had been a lawyer for the KKK.

Last edited:
Jul 2010
Georgia, USA
I grew up here in Georgia during the last years of Jim Crow. I occasionally hear an oldster grumble that so-and-so would not happen "back in my day". I really have not heard any stated desire to return to those days from them. It seems that the following generations are more focused on returning to segregation, using more stealthy strategies.

Status
Closed