Do the nice-guy Presidents finish last?

Nov 2013
US
I'll define a nice-guy as someone who doesn't have a massive sized ego, is faithful to their marriage and isn't politically devious. Compassion is a plus.

I'll define effectiveness as influence and ability to get **** done.

(I'm sticking to 20th century, since we didn't have much video clips to go by before that)

Nice-Guys:
Herbert Hoover, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, George H.W. Bush, William Taft

Okay:
William McKinley, Ronald Reagan, Dwight Eisenhower, Harry Truman, Calvin Coolidge, Warren Harding, Theodore Roosevelt,

Jerk:
Woodrow Wilson, Franklin Roosevelt, Lyndon Johnson, John F. Kennedy, Richard Nixon

Comparing the lists, it looks like the nice-guys do finish last. If you disagree with where I categorized them, let me know. I'm far from the sharpest mind on this matter.

Nov 2012
I think you do probably have to be somewhat of a jerk at times to get things done in high office. But, on the other hand, they also have to be competent while being a jerk, because an assertive person who knows what they're doing may be looked up to and obeyed, but everyone hates an incompetent jerk.

Nov 2012
I don't think presidents are effective because they're jerks. But maybe they are jerks because they can get away with it if they are effective.
Maybe. Like the stereotypical douchebag with a hot girlfriend. Despite what some guys tend to think, shes not attracted to him because he's a douchebag, she's attracted to him for the same reasons he can act like a douchebag and get away with it.

Maybe kinda like that.

Last edited:

Wenge

Ad Honoris
Apr 2011
Virginia
I'll define a nice-guy as someone who doesn't have a massive sized ego, is faithful to their marriage and isn't politically devious. Compassion is a plus.

I'll define effectiveness as influence and ability to get **** done.

(I'm sticking to 20th century, since we didn't have much video clips to go by before that)

Nice-Guys:
Herbert Hoover, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, George H.W. Bush, William Taft

Okay:
William McKinley, Ronald Reagan, Dwight Eisenhower, Harry Truman, Calvin Coolidge, Warren Harding, Theodore Roosevelt,

Jerk:
Woodrow Wilson, Franklin Roosevelt, Lyndon Johnson, John F. Kennedy, Richard Nixon

Comparing the lists, it looks like the nice-guys do finish last. If you disagree with where I categorized them, let me know. I'm far from the sharpest mind on this matter.
Have you studied these Presidents? I do not see how you can call Johnson a jerk or Hoover a nice guy.

Nov 2013
US
Hoover, I could understand. But don't mistake his lack of charisma for lack of caring.

Johnson, how could you not see it? Between his list of mistresses which likely rivals Kennedy's, his massive ego and him constantly bragging about the size of his member, his devious tactics of getting the country to get into Vietnam.

No doubt when Johnson gave his speech about being able to help the poor as he stood helplessly as a school teacher, it was genuine. But he was a jerk too.

Wenge

Ad Honoris
Apr 2011
Virginia
Hoover, I could understand. But don't mistake his lack of charisma for lack of caring.

Johnson, how could you not see it? Between his list of mistresses which likely rivals Kennedy's, his massive ego and him constantly bragging about the size of his member, his devious tactics of getting the country to get into Vietnam.

No doubt when Johnson gave his speech about being able to help the poor as he stood helplessly as a school teacher, it was genuine. But he was a jerk too.
Were you alive during the Johnson administration? Lyndon Baines Johnson was the single greatest President this country has ever had. He truly cared for the people. He cannot be blamed for Vietnam. He was left with a bag of worms that he had to deal with. He was the true liberator of the slaves and the one president who did more for The United States that we can still see than any other American President that we have ever had. Compared to Johnson Lincoln is a joke.

Mar 2011
Georgia USA
Were you alive during the Johnson administration? Lyndon Baines Johnson was the single greatest President this country has ever had. He truly cared for the people. He cannot be blamed for Vietnam. He was left with a bag of worms that he had to deal with. He was the true liberator of the slaves and the one president who did more for The United States that we can still see than any other American President that we have ever had. Compared to Johnson Lincoln is a joke.
isn't hyperbole fun :D

Oct 2013
Pennsylvania
You might be stretching your point a bit too far - and YES - I was alive during Johnson's term.

Wenge

Ad Honoris
Apr 2011
Virginia
You might be stretching your point a bit too far - and YES - I was alive during Johnson's term.
I do not think so. I was not stretching my point a bit too far just as someone who admires any other President posts their feelings about the one they admire the most.

The one winning effort for Johnson that I do not feel any President before him had and he opened the door for Bush 41 to appoint Clarence Thomas to the Supreme Court was the appointment of Thurgood Marshall.

Lyndon Baines Johnson was probably the bravest President The United States has ever had and I admire him.

Similar History Discussions