Do we enjoy bashing and trashing certain works and authors?

Oct 2015
Belfast
C.S. Lewis' autobiography - Surprised by Joy. Don't bother reading this book. Thin on fact and interspersed with obscure Greek and Latin quotations.

Gulliver's Travels by Johnathan Swift. In writing this book, the author has expended the world's entire supply of upper case letters. It makes a very tedious read.

The Wreck of the Titan by Morgan Robertson. I don't care what the media says. It is NOT a prophecy of the sinking of the Titanic. The Titan sank on its return from its maiden voyage after a collision with another vessel in thick fog.

Last edited:

GogLais

Ad Honorem
Sep 2013
Wirral
One of the great gaps in my knowledge is “proper” literature. I’ve read nothing by the likes of Dickens, Jane Austen, Hardy, etc. Should I be ashamed?

VHS

Ad Honorem
Dec 2015
Brassicaland
One of the great gaps in my knowledge is “proper” literature. I’ve read nothing by the likes of Dickens, Jane Austen, Hardy, etc. Should I be ashamed?
I often consider these overrated; than, I indulge myself in Chinese classic philosophy lately.

Jan 2010
Atlanta, Georgia USA
No, But if like reading you should try some. Though I cannot abide Dickens. Classic literature is often so for a good reason.
That's really true. Books are classics because lots of people have liked to read them over a long period of time.

We're so corrupted by our reading of literature in school that we have an involuntary negative reaction when the word is mentioned.

I don't like every novel I've ever read and, like you, don't like Dickens very much. And there are a lot of very popular and well-recommended books that I have just been unable to read and put down after a few pages. I tried to read Rabelais several times (English translation) and never finished. Maybe I should try it in French?

But I've really enjoyed most of the "heavy hitters" of world literature.

botully

Ad Honorem
Feb 2011
Amelia, Virginia, USA
I've red the Hardy Boys, does that count?
Fun fact: The “author” of the Hardy Boys, Franklin W. Dixon, is actually many different writers who got paid small money for churning out these series for decades. Franklin Dixon is a collective pen name.

Similar History Discussions