Do we know if North Korea planned to move its capital southward if it would have won the Korean War?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Do we know if North Korea planned to move its capital southward if it would have won the Korean War?

I mean, North Vietnam kept its capital in Hanoi even after conquering South Vietnam, but would the same have also been true for North Korea? I know that the southern part of Korea was much more populous than the northern part of Korea was.

Maki

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Republika Srpska
I believe yes. If I am not mistaken, North Korea initially claimed Seoul as its rightful capital despite not having control over it

The ironic reason why North lost the Korean war is that the Southern military generals and high ranking officiers were former Japanese collaborators. (Northern ones were independence fighters whose mantra was to bring justice to the collaborators). If North won the war, the fate of the former collaborators would be sure death. In vietnam, high ranking officials in the South were often corrupt, because even if the South fell, at least you are rich. In Korea, if the South fell, you were dead. So there was strong motivation to NOT be corrupt. in China or Vietnam, when the Americans supplied the anticommunists with weapons and supplies, they were sold off to the highest bidder, often the enemy. In Korea, even despite the lower scale and quality of those initial supplies (while NK recieved tanks from the USSR, SK basically got M1 Garands), nothing was wasted.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
The ironic reason why North lost the Korean war is that the Southern military generals and high ranking officiers were former Japanese collaborators. (Northern ones were independence fighters whose mantra was to bring justice to the collaborators). If North won the war, the fate of the former collaborators would be sure death. In vietnam, high ranking officials in the South were often corrupt, because even if the South fell, at least you are rich. In Korea, if the South fell, you were dead. So there was strong motivation to NOT be corrupt. in China or Vietnam, when the Americans supplied the anticommunists with weapons and supplies, they were sold off to the highest bidder, often the enemy. In Korea, even despite the lower scale and quality of those initial supplies (while NK recieved tanks from the USSR, SK basically got M1 Garands), nothing was wasted.
Very interesting point!

BTW, why was Seoul so appealing as a capital to both the North Koreans and the South Koreans? Was it because it was Korea's historical capital? Any thoughts on this, @Maki and others?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
OK; makes sense.

BTW, why'd they drop the Seoul reference from the North Korean Constitution in 1972? Was it a result of the US-Chinese rapprochement and the resulting Chinese pressure on North Korea?

Kotromanic

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Iowa USA
OK; makes sense.

BTW, why'd they drop the Seoul reference from the North Korean Constitution in 1972? Was it a result of the US-Chinese rapprochement and the resulting Chinese pressure on North Korea?
Kim Il Sung's varying mood could be more causal than the Beijing - Washington connection? But... just a comment to bring it back to Wm of Occam here. I don't have any good sources about the North.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Kim Il Sung's varying mood could be more causal than the Beijing - Washington connection? But... just a comment to bring it back to Wm of Occam here. I don't have any good sources about the North.
Yeah, I mean, it's such a drastic step for North Korea to be dreaming of Seoul for 24 years and then to realize that Pyongyang is its real object of affection! :D