• No

Votes: 80 41.2%
  • I don't know

Votes: 35 18.0%

• Total voters
Sep 2008
Halicarnassus, 353BC
Do you believe in life after death?

If yes, what will it be like? Is it a literal resurrection here on earth? Or a more abstract afterlife in heaven? Or something else?

I recently read a book about Jesus, and the Resurrection part of the story caught my imagination. I also read about Islam which says there is a garden for those who do good, and a fire for those who do bad. Seems pretty logical. But personally, I find it hard to believe that anything happens after you die. I think we die, and that's the end. There is nothing else. Only place you exist after that is in the memory of people who knew you, and in the deeds that you have done. What about the ancient Egyptians? They believed in afterlife, but it seems to have been a waste of time. What do you think happened to them? Did they go to afterlife, or not?

Last edited:
Mar 2014
Canterbury
I believe there's something after death, because of unexplained occurrences and things to do with mediums while out ghost-hunting. But I would hesitate to call it life. It's hard to call it anything, really. I just don't know enough.

Zeno

Ad Honoris
Jan 2010
♪♬ ♫♪♩
I believe in the Second Law of Thermodynamics. No energy is ever lost.

As to an individual afterlife, i think it only exists in the memories of those who continue to live.

In that sense a dead person changes a lot over time. Like how Julius Caesar lives in our memory and culture, but is nothing but the shadow of a man who once lived and projections of those who invoke his name.

Voted "i don't know" .. I know what i believe, but i don't know if it exists in reality.

I 'm fascinated by trees growing on a cemetary.

Last edited:

veka

Ad Honorem
Dec 2008
Finland
I voted Yes, although I'm not sure what happens once we die. In any case, if Jesus was resurrected, then there will be life after life after death. That's the Christian hope. We are coming back.

Maribat

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Do you believe in life after death?
What about the ancient Egyptians? They believed in afterlife, but it seems to have been a waste of time. What do you think happened to them? Did they go to afterlife, or not?
I can understand that thing about the ancient Egyptians. Yes, they believed in afterlife, made mummies of themselves and of their cats. There was no science then, only religion. What could be expected from ancient ignorant people. But when men of XXI century behave in the same manner it's beyond my understanding.

veka

Ad Honorem
Dec 2008
Finland
I can understand that thing about the ancient Egyptians. Yes, they believed in afterlife, made mummies of themselves and of their cats. There was no science then, only religion. What could be expected from ancient ignorant people. But when men of XXI century behave in the same manner it's beyond my understanding.
Behave in what manner? Making mummies? :lol:

BenSt

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Canada, originally Clwyd, N.Wales
I definitly believe in life after death. I do believe that the spirit can either reincarnate, or rest for a while in an afterlife, or get trapped on earth. I believe because of faith in something else and it comes down to a gut feeling, but what that something else is I can't or don't have the knowledge to say.

I believe there's something after death, because of unexplained occurrences and things to do with mediums while out ghost-hunting. But I would hesitate to call it life. It's hard to call it anything, really. I just don't know enough.
Do you ghost hunt yourself Domhnall ?

BenSt

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Canada, originally Clwyd, N.Wales
I'm not disagreeing with you, because you're entitled to your opinion. But they were not ignorant people. Egyptian religion was intimately tied into the landscape of the Nile, and so if anything we could say they took a regional perspective and projected that onto the cosmos. They were very logical people, they were basing their practices off of a certain theological logic which stated that there was a life after death and mummification was the correct procedures to go about getting there. That isn't ignorance, that's just an eschatological worldview.

Similar History Discussions