• I don't know

Votes: 40 18.3%

• Total voters
Status
Closed

Maribat

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Those who reject Christ will spend eternity in Hell.
Also those who look at women with lust will go to Hell. So we all will go to Hell. Save some ill people.
As a Christian, I believe in an afterlife. Those who have accepted Christ's sacrifice on their behalf will join Him in Heaven. Those who reject Christ will spend eternity in Hell.

Being good or evil has nothing to do where one spends eternity. Works has nothing to do with it. Eternal life in Heaven depends solely upon the works (sinless life, death and resurrection) of Jesus Christ, and His perfect righteousness.

As the old Christian hymnal says "I need no other argument, I need no other plea, it is enough that Jesus died, and that He died for me."
"Being good or evil has nothing to do where one spends eternity"? One may be bad and go sit beside Jesus up there? One may even be killer and go up? What a company Jesus will have!

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
It is interesting that a number of “believers” and “non-believers” is equal. I bet if we did a study, there would be very few, if any, differences, between the historumites who checked “yes” and “no”.

I wonder what drives people to believe, is it hope?
Scientists say that we are ' hard wired ' to believe in God. I take to mean that we have evolved to believe in God. Our belief is an evolutionary feature. Well, I do not believe in this hypothesis !
I take it that our belief in God is the climax of our innate faculty of appreciating beauty in nature and other amazing facts of life.

Reactions: arkteia

Maribat

Ad Honorem
Mar 2012
Scientists say that we are ' hard wired ' to believe in God. I take to mean that we have evolved to believe in God. Our belief is an evolutionary feature. Well, I do not believe in this hypothesis !
I take it that our belief in God is the climax of our innate faculty of appreciating beauty in nature and other amazing facts of life.
I appreciate beauty in nature but I am in no way closer to associating that beauty with a supernatural being.

Jan 2019
US
I've seen an interesting theory that states that the dominance of religion on earth is a result of natural selection. There are obvious benefits to a cultural belief in a deity, not least of which is that He becomes an irrefutable source of authority, which promotes a unified people under one divinely instated ruler or ruling class - a big bonus for any civilization. But the science books I've read have considered that theory a bit weak.

Todd Feinman

Ad Honorem
Oct 2013
Planet Nine, Oregon
I've seen an interesting theory that states that the dominance of religion on earth is a result of natural selection. There are obvious benefits to a cultural belief in a deity, not least of which is that He becomes an irrefutable source of authority, which promotes a unified people under one divinely instated ruler or ruling class - a big bonus for any civilization. But the science books I've read have considered that theory a bit weak.
I think certain memes work better for certain peoples in certain times and places to give them a selective advantage or they wouldn't exist, or if the chicken came first, they embody the beliefs, practices and aspirations that have allowed societies to flourish. "Archetypes" and epitomes too.

Jun 2016
England, 200 yards from Wales
There's also an evolutionary explanation that goes much further back - the predisposition to see agency, pattern or purpose behind events.
Basically the idea being that it was better to assume a stalking predator was shaking the bush when it was only the wind, than assume it was the wind when the lion was really there.
So it is easy to feel there must be purpose behind things, the lightning at one time, or life or death.

Reactions: rvsakhadeo

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
@ Maribat,
Yes, in a way, I believe in the theory that God is a great designer. The amazing beauty seen everywhere in nature, whether in flowers, in trees, in the colour schemes of the feathers of the birds and the various characteristics of the animals topped by the attributes of the brains of human beings are , to me, the evidence of a designer---a great designer--- at work. Even the theory of Evolution which goes to prove the seamless fitting of all living beings on this planet of ours---whether in ceaseless mutual strife or not--- is a work of art of the great designer.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
There's also an evolutionary explanation that goes much further back - the predisposition to see agency, pattern or purpose behind events.
Basically the idea being that it was better to assume a stalking predator was shaking the bush when it was only the wind, than assume it was the wind when the lion was really there.
So it is easy to feel there must be purpose behind things, the lightning at one time, or life or death.
This predisposition--- how does it arise in the mind ? Why the instict of self preservation should be there at all in all living beings ? Why would animals mate when there was nothing related to self preservation in the acts of mating ? After all animals do not know beforehand that mating could result in the female getting pregnant and producing offsprings ? Many acts of mating do not necessarily result in the production of offsprings.

tomar

Ad Honoris
Jan 2011
@ Maribat,
Yes, in a way, I believe in the theory that God is a great designer. The amazing beauty seen everywhere in nature, whether in flowers, in trees, in the colour schemes of the feathers of the birds and the various characteristics of the animals topped by the attributes of the brains of human beings are , to me, the evidence of a designer---a great designer--- at work. Even the theory of Evolution which goes to prove the seamless fitting of all living beings on this planet of ours---whether in ceaseless mutual strife or not--- is a work of art of the great designer.
Which begs the question: how about amazing ugliness ? who is responsible for that ?

also why did this designer allow for all kinds of unpleasant sicknesses, pain and suffering ?..... Surely a competent designer would have avoided illnesses all together, as well as decay due to aging....

Status
Closed