Votes: 88 42.1%
  • I don't know

Votes: 38 18.2%

• Total voters

Linschoten

Ad Honoris
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
You can try to fillerbuster as much as you like, but a microscope, tests and scanning equipment will make you look as silly as your remark.

Some people when presented with facts they don't like seem to feel they can try to argue their way out of a paper bag, its amusing but a waste of time, theirs and mine.

Tell me about the interpretation that our bodies are not made up of cells .......... I'd love to hear your unique take on it.
This is charmingly naive.

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
That is certainly common nowadays in the UK; it doesn't seem to conflict with Chritian belief, even it was once thought rather naively that people's mouldering remians would required for resurrection.
The Christian forbidding of cremation is not based on such a naive belief at all (how could it be when bodies of holy martyrs were burnt to ashes by the enemies of Christ and His Church?!), but on the belief that cremation is a desecration of the human body.

Last edited:

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
You can try to fillerbuster as much as you like, but a microscope, tests and scanning equipment will make you look as silly as your remark.

Some people when presented with facts they don't like seem to feel they can try to argue their way out of a paper bag, its amusing but a waste of time, theirs and mine.

Tell me about the interpretation that our bodies are not made up of cells .......... I'd love to hear your unique take on it.
Our bodies are unquestionably made up of cells. But there is something more there than mere biochemistry et al. Life, Consciousness, name it any way you like. Something not yet fathomed by Science.

Jun 2018
New Hampshire
---------------

I am also a Christian, and I respect all opinions.
I ask a question. Many Christians when they die want and are cremated.Will be correct?

I have always thought that true Christians do not want to be cremated because it has nothing to do with the Christian religion.
There is no reason why a Christian could not be cremated. The individual's spirit will ascend to Heaven, and during the resurrection God has the authority to restore the physical frame from the dust of the ground.

Cepheus

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
The argument form in play here is Dualism, with a pinch of eschatology.

Predicted outcome: the discussion will involve a bucket load of ad hominem with the end result being no resolution.

The most interesting approach to the subject of the thread would be to discuss the history of dualism along with some of the various forms of dualism that have been developed. This would incorporate some of the different parts of this discussion in play.

Last edited:

Cepheus

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Our bodies are unquestionably made up of cells. But there is something more there than mere biochemistry et al. Life, Consciousness, name it any way you like. Something not yet fathomed by Science.
One interesting path this conversation could take is a summary of some of the different viewpoints that religions or ritual practices hold on life after death.

Last edited:

Cepheus

Ad Honorem
Dec 2011
Consider:

Science does not allow us to assert that something does not exist because we do not have proof of it.

Therefore, we cannot prove there is a soul or that there is no soul.

However, activities that involve "spiritual" activities can have a positive affect on our health. This is proven.

Could we say that this is a case of the metaphysical having an influence on the material ?

Jun 2016
England, 200 yards from Wales
Consider:

Science does not allow us to assert that something does not exist because we do not have proof of it.

Therefore, we cannot prove there is a soul or that there is no soul.

However, activities that involve "spiritual" activities can have a positive affect on our health. This is proven.

Could we say that this is a case of the metaphysical having an influence on the material ?
Surely if, as you say, we cannot know whether there is 'soul' or not (or have any means of gaining information about it if it does exist) the most one can say is "either that this is a case of the metaphysical having an influence on the material or it is a case of belief in the (possibly non-existent) metaphysical having an effect, with no means of choosing between them".

Similar History Discussions