• No

Votes: 91 41.7%
  • I don't know

Votes: 40 18.3%

• Total voters
Status
Closed
I'd add.

Who remembers anything before they were born? no? well if you had a soul you would of had one prior to being born, your pre life experience which was nothing will be your after life experience.

You weren't anything before you were born and that's exactly where we'll be headed, the one salvation is that you'll feel nothing, no pain, no panic, no disappointment.

We won't exist, you can look at that two ways, you can either be saddened by it, or live your life like its 1999.

Jun 2012
Malaysia
Our bodies are unquestionably made up of cells. But there is something more there than mere biochemistry et al. Life, Consciousness, name it any way you like. Something not yet fathomed by Science.
Life is biochemistry. Consciousness is biochemistry. As soon as the biochemistry ceases, so do life & consciousness. In strictly biochemical terms, that's it. Goodbye. Finito. Owarimasu.

You bury a dead cat. You dig back for it in three months' time. Nothing there anymore, except hair & bones. And even those are going to gradually decay to dust in long enough time. You bury a dead chimpanzee. You dig back for it in five months time. Same thing like the cat.

Why would it be any much more different for a dead man, whose body you helped to bury. Just because he was only a few steps up in comparative intelligence level. Just because he wore a shirt & pants to go to work when he was alive. And just because some among his family & friends still alive believe, wish & hope for things to be different for him, as compared to the dead cat & the dead chimpanzee.

Last edited:

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
Life is biochemistry. Consciousness is biochemistry. As soon as the biochemistry ceases, so do life & consciousness. In strictly biochemical terms, that's it. Goodbye. Finito. Owarimasu.

You bury a dead cat. You dig back for it in three months' time. Nothing there anymore, except hair & bones. And even those are going to gradually decay to dust in long enough time. You bury a dead chimpanzee. You dig back for it in five months time. Same thing like the cat.

Why would it be any much more different for a dead man, whose body you helped to bury. Just because he was only a few steps up in comparative intelligence level. Just because he wore a shirt & pants to go to work when he was alive. And just because some among his family & friends still alive believe, wish & hope for things to be different for him, as compared to the dead cat & the dead chimpanzee.
Consciousness is biochemistry ? You mean all the composite thoughts and all the feelings of a person, all his longings and the hurts that he/she feels in the struggle to achieve these longings, his /her individuality are proteins and amino acids ? If that would have been so, there would exist no difference at all in the minds of all humans. All have the same proteins and amino acids in their brains, after all. Even in lower level animals like cats and dogs, there exist differences in the ways they struggle to live. They have individualities.
Please do describe how one can conclude that consciousness is biochemistry.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
The biochemistry (DNA), the training (Samskaras), the education, the experiences are different for each living being. Consciousness is the sum of all. That is why no two are alike. The permutations are infinite. It is so in animals and vegetation too. An individuals consciousness dies/dissipates with the individual.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
But you cease to be
Nope , this bad joke of existence extinguish itself and we return to un-differentiated components
as such I am eternal ....as I was
But you cease to be the body---which you have wrongly identified as ' I '-- on your death. So your body is not at all eternal and certainly not that ' I ' which you call your body.
' I ' is something else, certainly not the body.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
But you cease to be
Nope , this bad joke of existence extinguish itself and we return to un-differentiated components
But you cease to be the body---which you have wrongly identified as ' I '-- on your death. So your body is not at all eternal and certainly not that ' I ' which you call your body.
' I ' is something else, certainly not the body.
The biochemistry (DNA), the training (Samskaras), the education, the experiences are different for each living being. Consciousness is the sum of all. That is why no two are alike. The permutations are infinite. It is so in animals and vegetation too. An individuals consciousness dies/dissipates with the individual.
Does consciousness of a person dissipates on the bodily death of that person ? Hindu religion, post--death rituals, and spiritualism do not think so.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
"Undiffentiated component", singular and not plural, you are reaslly that even while you live. Look a little more closely. That is why Upanishads said 'Tat twam asi" (That is what you are). To make it more poetic people translate it as "Thou art That".
Does consciousness of a person dissipates on the bodily death of that person ? Hindu religion, post--death rituals, and spiritualism do not think so.
It does and there is no evidence or reason that it will persist. Hindus do not have a single view. People with different levels of spiritual achievement believe in different things. In 'Advaita', if there is no birth, no death, these only being illusions; then post-death-rituals also are just that, only for the satisfaction of those who are still living. Though they do serve a social purpose, helping the relatives of the deceased to get over the grief..

Last edited:

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
However, the rituals provide livelihood to many people. To brahmins who will conduct the rituals, the person who would provide the bamboo stretcher that we use to carry the body and the material used in a funeral, the government contractor who will provide the wood, the singer who would sing the hymns if one holds a congregation to honor the dead or the boatman who would take one to the middle of a river to immerse the ashes. That is how society works. We sustain each other. It is not costly for Hindus as in other countries, perhaps less than a 100 USD for most people.

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
'liked' all except the 'bad joke' bit ... I replace that with 'wonderful gift'

Here :
Nope , wonderful gift of existence extinguish itself and we return to un-differentiated components
as such I am eternal ....as I was .

Status
Closed