• Total voters
Status
Closed

specul8

Ad Honorem
Oct 2016
Australia
But you cease to be

But you cease to be the body---which you have wrongly identified as ' I '-- on your death. So your body is not at all eternal and certainly not that ' I ' which you call your body.
' I ' is something else, certainly not the body.

Does consciousness of a person dissipates on the bodily death of that person ? Hindu religion, post--death rituals, and spiritualism do not think so.
Perhaps, as some components die ( like the body ) and some do not ( like consciousness) - some componants of consciousness die .... and some do not ?

;)

Dreamhunter

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Malaysia
Even in lower level animals like cats and dogs, there exist differences in the ways they struggle to live. They have individualities.
And so ... What then ...

If you have s Toyota Vios, and I also have a Toyota Vios, exact same year & model, does that have to mean that your Toyota Vios & my Toyota Vios will feel & drive precisely the same? Nope.

But that's does not mean that they're both going to be something else after they have gone to the scrapyard, other than scrap iron.

Even if that scrap iron ends up being used to build another Toyota Vios of the same exact model, the new car will have zero connection with your Toyota Vios or mine. Besides some common shared history between some atoms.

Last edited:
Reactions: Aupmanyav

Dreamhunter

Ad Honorem
Jun 2012
Malaysia
Consciousness is biochemistry ? You mean all the composite thoughts and all the feelings of a person, all his longings and the hurts that he/she feels in the struggle to achieve these longings, his /her individuality are proteins and amino acids ?
That's right. Even the resentful feelings that you might get from reading some of the responses to your posts, especially the ones that you feel disagree completely with your own personal beliefs, they're all part & parcel of your own personal individual biochemistry. Which began when you were first conceived, and is going to cease when you yourself cease completely as a biochemically active process & system.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
@specul8
"liked' all except the 'bad joke' bit ... I replace that with 'wonderful gift "

life is pleasure and sorrow .... sometime great pleasures and crushing sorrow
until you had your heart ripped out of your chest
gaping wordlessly at the void , you do not know existence
existence is to be a distorted mirror to the world ,
the universe is not human
never was never will be

Jul 2019
Ukraine
After death is only nothing. After death, nothing is waiting for us. Only darkness and emptiness. It is even possible that our consciousness, what is called the soul, will die with us.

Naomasa298

Forum Staff
Apr 2010
T'Republic of Yorkshire
Consciousness is biochemistry ? You mean all the composite thoughts and all the feelings of a person, all his longings and the hurts that he/she feels in the struggle to achieve these longings, his /her individuality are proteins and amino acids ? If that would have been so, there would exist no difference at all in the minds of all humans. All have the same proteins and amino acids in their brains, after all. Even in lower level animals like cats and dogs, there exist differences in the ways they struggle to live. They have individualities.
Please do describe how one can conclude that consciousness is biochemistry.
Why would you assume there would be no difference?

Our bodies are made of cells, yet we all look different. Even identical twins have differences, such as fingerprints. There is no reason why biochemistry would make us all identical.

Feb 2019
Thrace
Take a look at people with Alzheimer's. They don't remember who they are or who their children are. The memories are gone.

And most importantly, take a look at people who are "brain dead." All the brain functions cease completely; so why on earth would someone think that if you destroy the rest of the body, consciousness suddenly gets pieced back together.

Reactions: Aupmanyav
Feb 2019
Thrace
Consciousness is biochemistry ? You mean all the composite thoughts and all the feelings of a person, all his longings and the hurts that he/she feels in the struggle to achieve these longings, his /her individuality are proteins and amino acids ? If that would have been so, there would exist no difference at all in the minds of all humans. All have the same proteins and amino acids in their brains, after all. Even in lower level animals like cats and dogs, there exist differences in the ways they struggle to live. They have individualities.
Please do describe how one can conclude that consciousness is biochemistry.
Take a look at people with Alzheimer's. They don't remember who they are or who their children are. The memories are gone.

And most importantly, take a look at people who are "brain dead." All the brain functions cease completely; so why on earth would someone think that if you destroy the rest of the body, consciousness suddenly gets pieced back together.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Only darkness and emptiness.
No darkness, no brightness, no emptiness, no fullness, because 'you' or 'I' would not exist. Nothing waiting for you (or me), it is dissipation to the elements. But before that, we can live our life the way we want to and in 'dharma'. Why in 'dharma' because we are a part of the society. If we do that, it is better for us as well as for all others.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
Why would you assume there would be no difference?

Our bodies are made of cells, yet we all look different. Even identical twins have differences, such as fingerprints. There is no reason why biochemistry would make us all identical.
As the poster Dreamhunter has identified human biochemistry with human consciousness, the entire normal
humanity having same biochemistry will have the same consciousness. And that does not make sense.

Status
Closed