Votes: 40 18.3%

• Total voters
Status
Closed

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
Take a look at people with Alzheimer's. They don't remember who they are or who their children are. The memories are gone.

And most importantly, take a look at people who are "brain dead." All the brain functions cease completely; so why on earth would someone think that if you destroy the rest of the body, consciousness suddenly gets pieced back together.
Alzheimer's disease or being brain dead is a condition of the brain. The human brain is a cognitive tool which the human Consciousness employs for dealing with reality. When the tool is out of order, Consciousness cannot work.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
Perhaps, as some components die ( like the body ) and some do not ( like consciousness) - some componants of consciousness die .... and some do not ?

;)[/QUOTE
Quite possible. IIRC Hindu spiritual thought does talk about a tiny sized replica of our selves which lingers on in this world till the 13th day of one's death. And that part is sent on its way to salvation on the 13th day ritual, even a small quantity of food the person liked being kept for its consumption in that journey.

Apr 2019
India
As the poster Dreamhunter has identified human biochemistry with human consciousness, the entire normal
humanity having same biochemistry will have the same consciousness. And that does not make sense.
It's absurd.
Humanity having same biochemistry would have same type of diseases, same features, same mental capability etc. But it isn't because humans are not manufactured in a factory. These factors depend upon our DNA, environment we are brought in, our culture, nutrition and education. Consiousness is surely product of biochemistry because it's separate existence would also need a 'medium' to carry it.
I know the indoctrination of 'rebirth' is deeply rooted in our Indian/Dharmic culture but all streams of Indic thoughts don't accept it. We get our daily dose of pop-spirituality with the promise of better next life not too different from promise of heaven by the Abrahmics. Fear of Karma is not too different from fear of Allah/Yahweh/Hell fire.
But most of Hindus don't know that concept of re-birth is absent in their holiest scripture Vedas. Vedas mention an illuminated heaven where the ancestors dwell but to be precise it's just a poetic heaven not material one. That's why there are no narrations of afterlife in Vedas. Vedas say that only 'reflection/memory' of a deceased person lives body mingles in the dust.
Concept of re-birth was introduced during era of Upnishadas(I guess to solve the mystery of 'Samskaras') and was made popular during era of Buddhism-Jainism. These sects are 'godless' so they needed something else to fill the void of 'divinity'.

Feb 2019
Thrace
Alzheimer's disease or being brain dead is a condition of the brain. The human brain is a cognitive tool which the human Consciousness employs for dealing with reality. When the tool is out of order, Consciousness cannot work.
Sorry, I thought you were one of the posters who believed in life after death. So if consciousness "cannot work" w/o a brain, than there is no afterlife, right?

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
@Kamayani,
The Yajurveda does contain a reference to rebirth. I am quoting from a book entitled ' The secret teachings of the Vedas ' by Stephen Knapp, published by Jaico Publishing House, India, ISBN 81-7224-091-0 page 139.
Yajurveda 12.36--39
" O learned and tolerant soul, after roaming in waters and plants, thou enterest the womb and are born again and again.---- "
Of course, there are many references to rebirth in the somewhat later literature of the Upanishads and the Puranas.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
Sorry, I thought you were one of the posters who believed in life after death. So if consciousness "cannot work" w/o a brain, than there is no afterlife, right?
The Consciousness, or in other words Self or Soul migrates from one body , after its death, to another body. The concept of rebirth is one of main concepts of Hinduism / Buddhism and Jainism.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
The many instances of possible rebirths have been researched by a number of researchers , among them Dr.Ms.Pasricha of the National Institute of Mental Health and Neurosciences. She has found that quite a few are true.
The number of Near Death Experiences reported in the concerned literature point to the possibility of Consciousness being active though detached from the body.

Feb 2019
Thrace
The Consciousness, or in other words Self or Soul migrates from one body , after its death, to another body. The concept of rebirth is one of main concepts of Hinduism / Buddhism and Jainism.
I'm unclear on how rebirth is supposed to work. Don't all organism have souls according to Buddhism? So are new souls constantly born out of nothingness? For example in the time of the first organism, what were all the trillions and trillions of souls that reside now a days in all the Earth's lifeforms doing? And this applies even if it's strictly for humans. Since the time of the first humans, were souls just floating and waiting for new humans to be born so they can enter a body? That would mean that there are still billions of souls who never ever possessed a human vessel since the human population is still increasing.

rvsakhadeo

Ad Honorem
Sep 2012
India
I'm unclear on how rebirth is supposed to work. Don't all organism have souls according to Buddhism? So are new souls constantly born out of nothingness? For example in the time of the first organism, what were all the trillions and trillions of souls that reside now a days in all the Earth's lifeforms doing? And this applies even if it's strictly for humans. Since the time of the first humans, were souls just floating and waiting for new humans to be born so they can enter a body? That would mean that there are still billions of souls who never ever possessed a human vessel since the human population is still increasing.
Souls can reside in non-human living beings, too, whether animals or plants or microbes. And as the literature says" Like sparks bursting forth from a fire which ascend and then go out and fall back into the fire as ashes, we are all born, live and die and are reborn." Maths of souls is not a problem for God, I think.

Status
Closed