Votes: 91 41.7%
  • I don't know

Votes: 40 18.3%

• Total voters
Status
Closed
Feb 2019
Thrace
My mother saw a hallucination, true. My wife's sister , too , saw a hallucination, true. The lady who was a terminal patient also, saw a hallucination. But why ? Why the hallucinations appeared at the point of death of the two participants who were about to die ? and, in case of my mother, why did the hallucination of her aunt appeared when the aunt died hundreds of kilometers away ?
David Hume would ask you to seriously consider what is more likely. That it's a simple coincidence, or that there's some magical/metaphysical explanation to it. And the same question applies even if you yourself would have been witness to a miracle. Could it be just a misapprehension from my part? I think a reasonable man would admit so.

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
Mystery is not 'how' but 'why'.
Do you think that there can be life on other planets?
If IVC was European or East Asian it would not have been debatable. But since it's Indian ..
According to a recent research paper during late Harappan period middle-east observed influx of Indian zebu bulls which suggests migration of Harappan people towards west. Probably later this migration gave rise to Mittani kingdom.
Interestingly we do not have evidence of influx of 'Aryan' horse in any Indus site in the same time-period.
- What 'why' do you want to know about?
- With more than a trillion galaxies (latest information) and hundreds of stars like sun in each galaxy with their planets and moons, and life-building molecules (amino acids) in space,there is nearly 99% certainty that there is ample life in the universe. Although the universe is so large (latest 8.8×10×26 miles - 880,000,000,000,000 trillion) and even the closest earth-like planet, Proxima Centauri b, is 25 trillion miles from earth, that there is no hope that we may reach them unless we master Teleportation or get Siddhis like Prāpti (ability to be anywhere at will) or manojavah (moving the body wherever thought goes).
- We do not know how Indian was IVC or it had Iranic elements from Afghanistan like in Mehrgarh? Like I said everything about IVC is debatable.
- Sure, if the Afghans/Iranians came to India, they would be raising Zebu cattle. There is no evidence of IVC people moving west-ward. How come they might have jumped to Iraq without leaving any evidence between India and Iraq?
- That may be showing that the Mehrgarh and IVC people were pre-Aryan Iranics.
You see, Kamayani, history does not go only by guess work. It requires proof.

Sep 2012
India
The same dynamic that, on Saturday made me realise something significant from the past was about to happen.

By that afternoon I was back in contact with one of my dearest friends that I have been searching for for over 30 years . And I didnt go looking, it just 'turned up'.

Life is full of stuff like this . Well, my life is .

Yes, we DO have apparitions of people just after they die . But we also have them when they are not dead. dying or even sick. It can happen if they have an accident or some even just some significant event . So I dont think this offers proof of life after death .... in itself .
It offers a proof that
Point is, science has zero need to compel anyone to believe in anything. It just proceeds with doing what it does best, challenging previous beliefs, experimenting & producing new knowledge & evidence.

Science does not need you to believe anything it produces, if you do not want to. Science does not need anyone special to keep steadfast belief in science, in order for science to continue developing & providing new answers to old questions.

Nothing superspecial about his book either. Full of fundamental flaws. Not that inspiring either. Just another money making opportunity.

But then, everything that Steve Hagen uses or consumes, day in day out, week in week out, year in year out, are all made with the knowledge & wisdom obtained from the study of science. Not with any study of his or anybody else's version of so called Ultimate Reality or whatever else.

In addition, just in using all those very things manufactured with the expertise afforded by the study & application of the principles of science, including his clothes, his car, his entire home, his foodstuff, his cellphone, his laptop or notebook etc., he is in fact in a way acknowledging, accepting & endorsing the increasingly profound indispensability of science to his own very life.
Hagen has acknowledged that science has been astounding in its power to manipulate the physical world. It fails in replying basic questions about Life and Reality.

Sep 2012
India
The same dynamic that, on Saturday made me realise something significant from the past was about to happen.

By that afternoon I was back in contact with one of my dearest friends that I have been searching for for over 30 years . And I didnt go looking, it just 'turned up'.

Life is full of stuff like this . Well, my life is .

Yes, we DO have apparitions of people just after they die . But we also have them when they are not dead. dying or even sick. It can happen if they have an accident or some even just some significant event . So I dont think this offers proof of life after death .... in itself .
It offers a proof that consciousness can be detached from the body.

Haakbus

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
United States
It offers a proof that

Hagen has acknowledged that science has been astounding in its power to manipulate the physical world. It fails in replying basic questions about Life and Reality.
Exactly. Science only asks about the physical reality we can observe with our biological senses. It doesn't really address the how or why, the nonphysical meanings and principles of existence.

It offers a proof that consciousness can be detached from the body.
There are so many anecdotal accounts (including several in my family) of spiritual experiences that I don't think we can just write them off as "lack of oxygen to the brain" (many of them occur when there is no problem with oxygen to the brain) which is just as silly as every unknown thing in the sky being a "weather balloon". Sure it's not rigorous testing or anything, so it's difficult to know much for sure, but analysis always begins with anecdotes or "hunches".

That said, the question remains how do we sort out the sincere people from the fakes? How do we know what is or is not about nonphysical reality? I tend to think spiritual experiences are highly personal, that is, each person perceives the nonphysical and divine in their particular way, and their experiences reflect that.

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
Yeah, I am the only 'advaitist' in my family. The others are normal people, they do not know about 'Maya'. :DYeah, I understand. That is why I did not take the responsibility of claiming anything but gave the link.
Zimmer, Carl (15 May 2019). "Scientists Created Bacteria With a Synthetic Genome. Is This Artificial Life? - In a milestone for synthetic biology, colonies of E. coli thrive with DNA constructed from scratch by humans, not nature". The New York Times. Retrieved 16 May 2019.
That is why Wikipedia reports it as a 'milestone'.
This is not DNA 'constructed from scratch' by human action, it is DNA that has been rewritten by systematically replacing certain codons with other codons; it is only in that regard that this DNA can be regarded as 'synthetic'! Nobody can create an entire complement of DNA from scratch and insert it into a bacterium in such a way that it can then regulate the cell. A rough analogy: when recently revising a book on ancient mythology, I changed the transliteration of many ancient Greek names, using a computer program to change each relevant name throughout the book; this introduced systematic changes into an existing book, it did not construct the book from scratch.

Last edited:

Haakbus

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
United States
I don't look for the divine in such things as the physical beginning of life or whatnot. Seems to be a "god of the gaps" mentality. I look for the divine (whatever divine may exist if any) as the perfect principle and cause of all things imperfect and physical. It's difficult to put into words. It's the essence that underlies all thing;, if the divine exists it is equally in and the ultimate source and meaning of everything not just certain things. Physical things are imperfect manifestations or results of divine principles and forces.

Last edited:
Sep 2012
India
This is not DNA constructed from scratch by human action, it is DNA that has been rewritten by systematically replacing certain codons with other codons; it is only in that regard that this DNA can be regarded as 'synthetic'! Nobody can create an entire complement of DNA from scratch and insert it into a bacterium in such a way that it can then regulate the cell.
True. If any human can today create Life in a lab from scratch, he/she must be a human replacement for God. And we can soon expect him/her to start building new universes soon !

Aug 2010
Welsh Marches
True. If any human can today create Life in a lab from scratch, he/she must be a human replacement for God. And we can soon expect him/her to start building new universes soon !
Even if it were possible to create synthetic DNA in the full sense, that would not make it possible to create life in any case; all that DNA does is code for the production of proteins and certain RNAs that required for the regulation of cellular activities and the development of organisms, and much more is required for life than that!

Sep 2012
India
I don't look for the divine in such things as the origin of life or whatnot. Seems to be a "god of the gaps" mentality. I look for the divine (whatever divine may exist if any) as the perfect principle and cause of all things imperfect and physical. It's difficult to put into words. It's the essence that underlies all thing;, if the divine exists it is equally in and the ultimate source and meaning of everything not just certain things. Physical things are imperfect manifestations or results of divine principles and forces.
God is many things to many persons.

Status
Closed