Votes: 40 18.3%

• Total voters
Status
Closed

Aupmanyav

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
New Delhi, India
the nonphysical meanings and principles of existence.
Like? :)
.. since all physical processes stem from the divine.
What is your proof/evidence for that? :)
This is not DNA 'constructed from scratch' by human action, it is DNA that has been rewritten by systematically replacing certain codons with other codons; it is only in that regard that this DNA can be regarded as 'synthetic'! Nobody can create an entire complement of DNA from scratch and insert it into a bacterium in such a way that it can then regulate the cell.
Yeah, that used to be the case. But this is a new development, just a month old. Otherwise, give us the reference that it was an engineered DNA.
Recoded: meaning they studied the E.coli DNA and created a different one in a new way.

"Total synthesis of Escherichia coli with a recoded genome:
We create a variant of Escherichia coli with a four-megabase synthetic genome through a high-fidelity convergent total synthesis. Our synthetic genome implements a defined recoding and refactoring scheme—with simple corrections at just seven positions—to replace every known occurrence of two sense codons and a stop codon in the genome. Thus, we recode 18,214 codons to create an organism with a 61-codon genome; this organism uses 59 codons to encode the 20 amino acids, and enables the deletion of a previously essential transfer RNA."
Total synthesis of Escherichia coli with a recoded genome
Nature - May 15, 2019

Last edited:
Sep 2012
India
God
I don't look for the divine in such things as the origin of life or whatnot. Seems to be a "god of the gaps" mentality. I look for the divine (whatever divine may exist if any) as the perfect principle and cause of all things imperfect and physical. It's difficult to put into words. It's the essence that underlies all thing;, if the divine exists it is equally in and the ultimate source and meaning of everything not just certain things. Physical things are imperfect manifestations or results of divine principles and forces.
God is many things to many persons.
Yeah, that used to be the case. But this is a new development, just a month old. Otherwise, give us the reference that it was an engineered DNA.
Recoded: meaning they studied the E.coli DNA and created a different one in a new way.

We create a variant of Escherichia coli with a four-megabase synthetic genome through a high-fidelity convergent total synthesis. Our synthetic genome implements a defined recoding and refactoring scheme—with simple corrections at just seven positions—to replace every known occurrence of two sense codons and a stop codon in the genome. Thus, we recode 18,214 codons to create an organism with a 61-codon genome; this organism uses 59 codons to encode the 20 amino acids, and enables the deletion of a previously essential transfer RNA."
Nature - May 15, 2019
Was it alive after its synthesis ? This is not made clear. I repeat was it a live E-coli bacteria or not, when it was ' synthesised ' ?

Haakbus

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
United States

Nature - May 15, 2019
I tend to see kindness and the pursuit of understanding as inherent virtues, perhaps something fundamental to existence? I don't know. Most religions (aka attempts at understanding metaphysics/spirituality) seem to teach this stuff.

This is based on things I've thought about that seem to make sense to me and discussions with others.

I'm not even sure what I believe if anything, including this stuff. I just like to discuss and make sense of viewpoints I consider. Kinda thinking out loud in a way.

Last edited:
Aug 2010
Welsh Marches

Nature - May 15, 2019
I suspect that you don't have much knowledge of biology, because what you have posted confirms the very point that I was making! They systematically altered particular features in the coding of the DNA, they didn't 'create' new DNA as the newspaper report suggested. Nobody can create a wholly new complement of DNA for any organism.

If I may return to my analogy of the revisions that I made for my book on ancient mythology. As you will doubtless know, Greek has its own alphabet, and ancient Greek name can be transcribed either in Romanized form or more directly (to take an extreme example, the name Klutaimnestra appears in that form if the Greek letters are transcribed directly but as Clytemnestra in Romanized form). In revising the book I altered many Greek forms to more familar Romanized forms; and this can be done according to clearly specified rules. I could use a computer program to do it, or could explain the rules to any sensible person to make the alterations on my behalf. In the latter case, that person could alter the book throughout without knowing anything whatever about ancient mythology, let alone being capable of writing the book in the first place. This is what was done with this genome, certain elements in the existing coding were altered according to specified rules (the rules needed to be rightly specified of course if the genetic code was to remain operative, so specialized knowledge was required in setting the rules); but in making those alterations they were not creating a new genome, but altering an existing genome in certain specified respects. If you regard the genome as a book, they were not writing a new book any more than someone revising the forms of certain names in my book according to set rules would be writing a new book, or would be capable of writing such a book just because he knew how alter names in it; and while someone else could write a comparable book on mythology if he had the necessary knowledge, no one at all can create a synthetic genome from scratch, it lies beyond human capacity either to formulate the code or to synthesise the coils of DNA in accordance with that code.

Jun 2012
Malaysia
Hagen has acknowledged that science has been astounding in its power to manipulate the physical world. It fails in replying basic questions about Life and Reality.
1. Science has never claimed to know everything about life or reality. But what it knows, it doesn't just blabber. It has solid, provable backing. That's the virtue of science. It is always humble, always honest & frank, always open to challenge.

2. If science 'fails', then what 'succeeds' better than it? And please do not talk about faith, so called 'certainty' & unquestioning belief without evidence or logic, in answering this part. You cannot build a bike, a car, an aircraft or a ship simply with faith, so called 'certainty' or unquestioning belief.

Last edited:
Jun 2012
Malaysia
It offers a proof that consciousness can be detached from the body.
What someone 'saw' when they were dreaming is not 'proof' of anything. They did not 'see' anything real. They were just dreaming.

Same thing when someone is hallucinating. They did not 'see' anything real. They were just hallucinating. So what they 'saw' was not 'proof' of anything.

Suppose, let's just say for one moment, that you once had a very close friend Mr. A. He was murdered, but the killer was never proven & found.

And then, some time later, you 'saw' him when you were dreaming, or better still, hallucinating. He told you that he was killed by Mr. B, let's just say. Can you simply go to the cops & tell them that you now know who the killer is, with absolute 100% certainty? Nope. Not anywhere on this planet. That just isn't how it works. For the same reasons that I have explained above.

Last edited:
Sep 2012
India
What someone 'saw' when they were dreaming is not 'proof' of anything. They did not 'see' anything real. They were just dreaming.

Same thing when someone is hallucinating. They did not 'see' anything real. They were just hallucinating. So what they 'saw' was not 'proof' of anything.

Suppose, let's just say for one moment, that you once had a very close friend Mr. A. He was murdered, but the killer was never proven & found.

And then, some time later, you 'saw' him when you were dreaming, or better still, hallucinating. He told you that he was killed by Mr. B, let's just say. Can you simply go to the cops & tell them that you now know who the killer is, with absolute 100% certainty? Nope. Not anywhere on this planet. That just isn't how it works. For the same reasons that I have explained above.
When I gave the three examples of persons seeing the dead / about to die people, they were not dreaming. If at all they were hallucinating, my point was why the hallucinations were about dead people or an about to die person. In case of the sick lady she was surprised to see her sister and did not know that the sister had died already. Nowhere dreaming was involved.

Last edited:
Sep 2012
India
You c
1. Science has never claimed to know everything about life or reality. But what it knows, it doesn't just blabber. It has solid, provable backing. That's the virtue of science. It is always humble, always honest & frank, always open to challenge.

2. If science 'fails', then what 'succeeds' better than it? And please do not talk about faith, so called 'certainty' & unquestioning belief without evidence or logic, in answering this part. You cannot build a bike, a car, an aircraft or a ship simply with faith, so called 'certainty' or unquestioning belief.
You cannot really dictate what my answer should be. Not within your purview.

Last edited:
Sep 2012
India
Kindnes
I tend to see kindness and the pursuit of understanding as inherent virtues, perhaps something fundamental to existence? I don't know. Most religions (aka attempts at understanding metaphysics/spirituality) seem to teach this stuff.

This is based on things I've thought about that seem to make sense to me and discussions with others.

I'm not even sure what I believe if anything, including this stuff. I just like to discuss and make sense of viewpoints I consider. Kinda thinking out loud in a way.
Kindness and understanding are virtues that emerged out of intra-species cooperation during evolution, as the scientists say.

Status
Closed