Do you consider Greece and Romania part of the Balkans?

Do you consider Greece and Romania part of the Balkans?

• Yes, both Greece and Romania

• Only Greece

• Only Romania

• No, neither Greece nor Romania

Results are only viewable after voting.

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I had a conversation with a person on another website about this and he argued that Romania is a part of the Balkans while Greece isn't. In turn, I decided to create this poll.

Do you personally consider Greece and Romania to be part of the Balkans?

As for me, I voted Yes for Greece but no for Romania. Personally, I consider the Balkans to end at the Danube River and start on the Mediterranean Sea. Thus, Greece would be included but the lion's share of Romania would not be. (Dobruja, of course, would be an exception to this rule, but AFAIK it only contains a small percentage of Romania's total population and thus doesn't really count for this.)

Anyway, what are your own thoughts on this?

Reactions: Todd Feinman

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
Another way to visualize the Balkans is to think of heavily mountainous areas:

The Balkans (including Greece) are largely/mostly mountainous but Romania isn't--with Romania generally being flat other than the Carpathian Mountains in the middle of Romania.

Isleifson

Ad Honorem
Aug 2013
Lorraine tudesque
So if you are going to Hungary and you ask about the Balkans : they will send you to Romania. In Romania they will tell you to go to Bulgaria, And in Bulgaria they will send you to Serbia.

deaf tuner

Ad Honoris
Oct 2013
Europix
None.

Nor Slovenia, etc, etc, as South as Greece.

By the geographical definition of a peninsula, the Balkanic peninsula doesn't exist, as it isn't a peninsula.

Reactions: Ken12
Apr 2019
Ireland
A line from Trieste on the Adriatic to Odesa on the Black Sea could be said to enclose a landmass surrounded by water on 3 sides. This would lead to the inclusion of many countries, however there are also other categories into which the term Balkans has been used other than geographic - cultural, historic and I suppose a Western European tendency from the 19th century to categorise the Balkans with the former Ottoman European territory.
I would consider Romania and Greece to be part of the Balkans (doesn't necessarily mean I'm right though).

Reactions: Futurist

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
The Austrians are saying

Der Balkan beginnt hinter Wien

The Balkans are right behind Vienna
The Balkans or Asia? As far as I know the famous saying attributed to Metternich has diff altenative versions (The Balkans/Asia begins at the Rennweg/Landstrasse), I wonder if he really said that at all :))

Jul 2012
Australia
For me the Balkans has been that area that has been contested by the successor states of the Western and Eastern Roman Empires - that is on the West largely Hungary/Austria but also Italy, Venice and Normans, and on the East, the Ottomans. Romania doesn't quite fit the picture since the land east of the Carpathians was largely a no mans land dominated by nomadic tribes from the steppes further to the east, till the end of the 13th century, and the Carpathians and Transylvania have been part of the Hungarian kingdom excepting for the 150 odd years it was subject to the Ottomans at the maximum extent of their power in Europe.

Jul 2017
Srpska
Yes. Both are. Balkans are a peninsula, all countries of the peninsula are in the Balkans. The definition of the peninsula is in question.
It's not a political term. It's a matter of geography. Other definitions are archaic.

1. Roman Period: South of Danube but not including Greece, which comports to definition of European people according to Strabo where he described the boundary between Germany and the south territories of Pannonia, Illyria and Thrace, but not including Greece.
NEITHER GREECE NOR ROMANIA (not south of Danube).

2. Early Gothic, Late Roman Period, transitional: Balkans are south of Sava and Ister (lower Danube). It does not include Pannonia but includes Greece. Roman Illyria.
GREECE YES (late roman Illyria) and ROMANIA NO (not south of Danube).

3. Modern Geographic: All territories south of the line Trieste, IT to Odessa, UKR.
BOTH GREECE AND ROMANIA.