Do you consider Greece and Romania part of the Balkans?

Do you consider Greece and Romania part of the Balkans?

• Yes, both Greece and Romania

• Only Greece

• Only Romania

• No, neither Greece nor Romania

Results are only viewable after voting.
Mar 2018
Greece
I would like to know when the kebab and suvlakia, respectively were invented.
Kebab were invented in turkey and spreaded among Balkan people (but not Greece) in 19th century, souvlaki is just a south European version of skewed meat that you can find under different names (like arosticini or pinchitos) in other countries

Mar 2018
Greece
A few more interesting social phenomena that i recently discovered about Europe. They're indicative of how Greece differs from many aspects, with the Mediterranean outlook of the country being crystal clear

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
It is and it can. The austrians say: "The balkans begins just south of vienna." They would know best.
It's a modern concept created in contempt, if you find it accurate please answer the question I asked to decebalus: "Which are the characteristic traits of the 'Balkan culture'? "

Aug 2019
North
They aren't, Greece has no kind of kebab and cabbage roles are native only in specific prefectures near Bulgaria, even if for touristic reasons you can find it anywhere.
In not so very distant past cabbage rolls were eaten all over the balkans, macedonia as an ethnic region included.
Not so sure about the turkish kebab. In macedonia we have small rolls of meat fried or barbequed. One such roll is called "kjevap". It is eaten with bread, cut onions and "ajvar" which is an autochtonous macedonian side dish made mainly of red paprika.

Mar 2018
Greece
It's a modern concept, created in contempt, if you find it accurate please answer the question I asked to decebalus: "Which are the characteristic traits of the 'Balkan culture'? "
He was crystal clear, cabbage roles and kebab :D

Now the fact that greece didn't have kebab and most of Greece not cabbage roles either (but one of our national dishes is pasticcio) is a different issue

Aug 2019
North
A few more interesting social phenomena that i recently discovered about Europe. They're indicative of how Greece differs from many aspects, with the Mediterranean outlook of the country being crystal clear

A la french secret services :D

Mar 2018
Greece
In not so very distant past cabbage rolls were eaten all over the balkans, macedonia as an ethnic region included.
Not so sure about the turkish kebab. In macedonia we have small rolls of meat fried or barbequed. One such roll is called "kjevap". It is eaten with bread, cut onions and "ajvar" which is an autochtonous macedonian side dish made mainly of red paprika.
Balkans yes, Greece not, with the exception of some northern regions due to longer ottoman occupation (equal to the occupation of Balkans)

Balkan kebabs (once again Greece didn't have any) are not different from Turkish one

Aug 2019
North
It's a modern concept created in contempt, if you find it accurate please answer the question I asked to decebalus: "Which are the characteristic traits of the 'Balkan culture'? "
Well it would be the balkanic antagonism the balkans' people feel towards each other. This has its roots in the past existence of the balkans' teritory left by the ottomans to lawlessly rot. Then in position we have the balkans' artificial, "face lifted" states which were created upon the bloody ground of certain regions' autochtonous people.

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
He was crystal clear, cabbage roles and kebab :D

Now the fact that greece didn't have kebab and most of Greece not cabbage roles either (but one of our national dishes is pasticcio) is a different issue
In Romania cabbage roles and kebab are not regarded the same, the first being much more assimilated as Romanian than the latter. For example I ate cabbage roles innumerable times during my life, since I know myself, and they are traditional food here on holidays (especially on Christmas and generally on Winter holidays, when pickled cabbage is used), but I have never eaten kebab except under the form of shawarma, that no more than a very few times per year beginning with my teenage years, and what I can say is that the shawarma made here is incomparable to the one made in Turkey, the Turkish shawarma being much more tastier.

Last edited: