Do you consider Greece and Romania part of the Balkans?

Do you consider Greece and Romania part of the Balkans?

• Yes, both Greece and Romania

• Only Greece

• Only Romania

• No, neither Greece nor Romania

Results are only viewable after voting.

Solidaire

Ad Honorem
Aug 2009
Athens, Greece
Personally, I prefer vine leaf rolls.
Oh yeah, me too. With a lot of lemon juice and none of that nonsense variations with meat in them.

The "Balkan countries" share a lot of common things indeed, the same and unique "Balkan culture", I doubt.
I agree, there is no universal "Balkan culture". Shared characteristics yes, a pan-Balkan culture, no. Some national groups might group together more closely, in terms of culture, others not so much.

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
Well it would be the balkanic antagonism the balkans' people feel towards each other. This has its roots in the past existence of the balkans' teritory left by the ottomans to lawlessly rot. Then in position we have the balkans' artificial, "face lifted" states which were created upon the bloody ground of certain regions' autochtonous people.
Such antagonism hasn't existed in Romania, except with Bulgarians on the question of Dobruja, a dispute which is long since buried.

Tulun

Ad Honorem
Nov 2010
Western Eurasia
A few more interesting social phenomena that i recently discovered about Europe. They're indicative of how Greece differs from many aspects, with the Mediterranean outlook of the country being crystal clear
If you don't mind, can you expand it more
What do we see here exactly (the meaning of the legend)? Sorry I can't speak French and not familiar with that anthropologist dude.

And what do we see on this map?

Aug 2019
Ashrakhan
I get your logic, but on the other hand, the Balkans did experience Byzantine and then Ottoman influence for centuries. Greece got to share both of these experiences.

The big experience that Greece didn't share was Communism. Greece lucked out on this and avoided Communism after its nationalists won its civil war in 1949.
Greece didn't "luck out" after its nationalists won. Greece's main resistance was EAM which was predominately communist. The only reason why EAM was crushed was because of the British interference alongside with the quiescence of the Soviets which was finalized after the percentages agreement.

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
I agree, there is no universal "Balkan culture". Shared characteristics yes, a pan-Balkan culture, no. Some national groups might group together more closely, in terms of culture, others not so much.
This is what I tried to mean.

Aug 2019
North
Kebab were invented in turkey and spreaded among Balkan people (but not Greece) in 19th century, souvlaki is just a south European version of skewed meat that you can find under different names (like arosticini or pinchitos) in other countries
Souvlaki is an imported dish to your country. You already said you were ruled by mediterranian countries. Therefore its origins are to be found elsewhere.

Ficino

Ad Honorem
Apr 2012
Romania
...and with serbia on the matter of the aromanians.
My apologies, but you don't know about what you are talking. Very few Aromanians have lived in Serbia and we have never had a dispute with Serbia on this matter, Aromanians have lived in your beloved Republic of North Macedonia, Greece and Albania. When Romania took Southern Dobruja from Bulgaria, the Aromanians were invited to settle there in order to save them from the assimilationist policies, and not a few of them came as colonists, though those who wanted to come encountered many problems in emigrating there. After Southern Dobruja was returned to Bulgaria, the vast majority of the Aromanian colonists were resettled on the Romanian territory.

Last edited: