Do you consider Greece and Romania part of the Balkans?

Do you consider Greece and Romania part of the Balkans?

• Yes, both Greece and Romania

• Only Greece

• Only Romania

• No, neither Greece nor Romania

Results are only viewable after voting.
Dec 2017
Regnum Teutonicum
@armageddon87:
Why would I use Google? There are so many search engines, why pick the North Korea of search engines?

You even see Slovenia as part of the Balkans? So southern Styria, southern Carinthia and southern Bukovina are parts of the Balkans, but norther Styria, northern Carinthia and northern Bukovina are not? So if Slovenia would annex Friuli from Italy, would you consider Friuli now part of the Balkans or not? And if Italy would annex the whole of Slovenia would Italy now be a balkan country for you or not?

Mar 2016
Australia
I have a Greek friend, and she would take offence at having Greece grouped with the rest of the Balkans. She has an attitude that Greece is a totally unique country from any around it, in a way a sort of 'Greek exceptionalism', mostly because of Greece's ancient history.

Last edited:
May 2008
Bangkok
I have a Greek friend, and she would take offence at having Greece grouped with the rest of the Balkans. She has an attitude that Greece is a totally unique country from any around it, in a way a sort of 'Greek exceptionalism', mostly because of Greece's ancient history.
Most of us have illusions, especially when it comes to patriotism. Greece certainly ought to be exceptional given it's location, but for the past two millenia, whether due to occupation or osmosis, Greece has come to have more in common, culturally and developmentwise with Macedonia and Serbia as a result of Byzantine/Ottoman domination rather than a preeminent cultural power of the modern era like England or France. It's just a matter of looking at it's economic development, social capital and institutions.

Mar 2019
Europe
You girlfriend is stupid, because Greece is clearly a Balkan country. Greece exceptionalism is a ridiculous thing. Modern Greece has been invaded quite frequently from invaders from 0B.C. to nowadays. I bet the genetics of Greece are not much different than the rest of the (Central) Balkans.
It's not like some random person decides that some culture must be unique and let's brag about it all over the Internet.
Here we need historical proof in order to discuss something more seriously.

Mar 2016
Australia
You girlfriend is stupid, because Greece is clearly a Balkan country. Greece exceptionalism is a ridiculous thing. Modern Greece has been invaded quite frequently from invaders from 0B.C. to nowadays. I bet the genetics of Greece are not much different than the rest of the (Central) Balkans.
It's not like some random person decides that some culture must be unique and let's brag about it all over the Internet.
Here we need historical proof in order to discuss something more seriously.
First of all, she isn't my girlfriend lmao. Also, just because you disagree with her doesn't mean you should call her 'stupid'. Shows how immature and knee-jerk your reaction is when you disagree with someone. Why should I take anything you say from this point on seriously after such a rude opening to your reply?

Mar 2019
Europe
First of all, she isn't my girlfriend lmao. Also, just because you disagree with her doesn't mean you should call her 'stupid'. Shows how immature and knee-jerk your reaction is when you disagree with someone. Why should I take anything you say from this point on seriously after such a rude opening to your reply?
.. maybe because it's true?! :think:

I don't know why people take it for granted that everybody must be polite to them. It's a discussion board for f*cks sake.

So how is my personal character influencing the very truth I talk about? Do you have something to counter with or you just don't like my attitude? Let me be clear. I'm not here searching for online friends.

Mar 2016
Australia
.. maybe because it's true?! :think:

I don't know why people take it for granted that everybody must be polite to them. It's a discussion board for f*cks sake.

So how is my personal character influencing the very truth I talk about? Do you have something to counter with or you just don't like my attitude? Let me be clear. I'm not here searching for online friends.
This forum has a certain standard for decent and polite behaviour, as befitting a forum based on an intellectual pursuit like history, and if you consciously refuse to meet that standard in how you talk to people, then you're not worth my time in responding to. If you want a proper response, change your awful attitude.

Mar 2019
Europe
This forum has a certain standard for decent and polite behaviour, as befitting a forum based on an intellectual pursuit like history, and if you consciously refuse to meet that standard in how you talk to people, then you're not worth my time in responding to. If you want a proper response, change your awful attitude.
I don't know why you think that I need your response.
You can't respond to that anyways. You don't respond to facts.
And, please, stop replying to me. I've never wanted a conversation with somebody. I'm here to discuss topics, not my or other people's personality.

Mar 2016
Australia
I don't know why you think that I need your response.
You can't respond to that anyways. You don't respond to facts.
And, please, stop replying to me. I've never wanted a conversation with somebody. I'm here to discuss topics, not my or other people's personality.
Thank you for further proving my point. Goodbye.