Do you feel any strong cultural attachment to a country that isn't your own or where you were born?

Mar 2016
Australia
Even though I was born and have lived my entire life in Australia, I feel a very strong cultural and sentimental attachment to the United Kingdom, for the predictable reason of having had family from there (my grandfather was born in Scotland) like many Australians, and also because of the historical closeness of our countries - we fought in both World Wars with Britain, as well as the Boer Wars, and my grandfather himself was in London during the Blitz and served in the RAF during WW2. It may seem strange and irrational, but even knowing the fact that my grandfather - who was alive when I was a baby - lived during the height of the British Empire's power and reach fills me with a deep pride. I'm a pretty ardent monarchist, which is occasionally an unpopular view in Australia (unfortunately the least loyal to the UK of the Dominion countries), although that said I don't worship the celebrity status of the royal family, but the very nature of its existence. My favourite history is British history, and I consider Britain to be probably the greatest country in history, in terms of the sheer magnitude of their contribution to civilisation and humanity in the modern world. In fact often times I feel a patriotism and love of the UK almost as strong as that for my own country, and I tend to see British history and Australian history as one and the same. Needless to say that when I visited the UK in December/January I felt at home and like I could easily settle down there (just not in London).

Does anyone else feel as strongly for a country they were not born in and do not live in, but share a cultural or historical connection with?

Rodger

Ad Honorem
Jun 2014
US
Likewise, I have grandparents whose parents came from European countries. As a child I can remember my grandmother sharing stories that she learned, as well as the culture. I found some affinity to this heritage and it was, in large part, a reason for my interest in history in general.

Belgarion

Ad Honorem
Jul 2011
Australia
I am Australian, my closest overseas born ancestor was a great grandfather who was from Scotland. However I do feel an attachment to Scotland both because of my family connection and because my wife was Scottish, giving me and our children strong ties to the place through a large extended family. Also my sons fiancee is Scottish :). I have visited on a regular basis, walked in the mountains and forests and love the scenery, the history and the people.

M9Powell

Ad Honorem
Oct 2014
appalacian Mtns
Another vote for Scotland. Ireland too. My mother was a McEwan. I was born in the USA.

Sep 2014
Texas
I grew up being told we were Irish. Actually more Scott's and Welsh, but inspite of my very mixed pedigree, I am Irish.

Jan 2016
United States, MO
I have a deep connection to East Asian culture, mostly Chinese and Mongolian. I have no ancestry from the region, and I only began learning anything about it once I was in high school. But the area captured my attention and has never really let go.

From a broader perspective, i find enjoyment in all history and culture, and I am always interested in learning more about human’s no matter where they are from, but you can’t specialize in everything, so I had to choose and it narrowed down to this.

Reactions: Namaka
Aug 2014
U.S.
England.

Virtually all my ancestors came from the continent, mostly Germany and Sweden, so I don't have a blood connection to the UK. If anything my few drops of Irish blood might imply hostility to the British, but I think of myself as an American, and England is the mother country. Our common law, the principle of property rights, our political culture; all evolved from their antecedents in England. Most of the things I love most about the US are, at best, slight improvements on what "we" inherited from the mother country.

sparky

Ad Honorem
Jan 2017
Sydney
Born in France ,emigrated to God country by choice and love it with a deep passion

Should a conflict with France ever occur I would most willingly shoot at them