Do you feel any strong cultural attachment to a country that isn't your own or where you were born?

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I'm interested in Russia (because my parents and a lot of my ancestors are from there) and also in Germany (due to the fact that it is probably the only European country other than Russia that was capable of becoming a superpower and also due to the fact that, like the U.S., Germany was founded as a union of formerly independent states).

Reactions: Todd Feinman

Futurist

Ad Honoris
May 2014
SoCal
I have a deep connection to East Asian culture, mostly Chinese and Mongolian. I have no ancestry from the region, and I only began learning anything about it once I was in high school. But the area captured my attention and has never really let go.

From a broader perspective, i find enjoyment in all history and culture, and I am always interested in learning more about human’s no matter where they are from, but you can’t specialize in everything, so I had to choose and it narrowed down to this.
Yeah, East Asian countries certainly are fascinating--especially China (due to its potential to become a superpower) and Japan (due to its ability to produce lots and lots of anime). The Koreas are also interesting but less so since they don't have the "Wow" factor as much as China and Japan has (plus, in North Korea's case, I certainly don't like totalitarian dictatorships).

What caused me not to include China and Japan in my list is the fact that their histories and cultural traditions are more divergent from the US's in comparison to, say, Germany's history. Thus, I enjoy reading more about countries that are either European or have a European origin--though as I said, some non-European countries also have their own appeal to me (just to a somewhat lesser extent than European or European-origin countries such as the U.S.).

M9Powell

Ad Honorem
Oct 2014
appalacian Mtns
Born in France ,emigrated to God country by choice and love it with a deep passion

Should a conflict with France ever occur I would most willingly shoot at them[/.
I thought everyone there had been disarmed (nuetered)? Gonna be hard too shoot back when all you're weapons got scraped.